FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions about delivering

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Meyers
Questions about delivering
on Oct 14, 2017 at 10:59:39 pm

hi there, i've got a couple of questions about rendering out from the "Deliver" page

i've got 5 files exported from my FCP edit, and am trying to use Resolve to add:
- a semi-opaque letterbox, (allowing sound editors to read the burn-ins on the clips)
- the clip name
- and burnt in timecode.

the letterbox I'm adding as a separate track (it's a pre-existing .png file I've been using in FCP) and reducing it's opacity, but some renders aren't including this layer
so question one: how do you control which video tracks are included in a render?

I want to burn in the clip name and timecode from the main clip, on V1,
but Resolve gives me the name & TC of the letterbox clip on V2
can i control which video track Resolve sources this data from?

my fix so far is to
1. set the timeline timecode to match the clip, and read that, and
2. use a text overlay for the name, but it's more time-consuming

thanks in advance,
nick

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Questions about delivering
on Oct 15, 2017 at 4:16:16 pm

is there a reason you aren't just using resolves burn in tool for all of this?

Adding a png keyable item just to add a box seems like a waste of processor power to me, especially when the burn in tool allows quite a bit of flexabilty with these items. You have individual clip burn in as well as timeline burn in, inclusing custom tabs where you can type what ever you want and have it burnt in.

As for your delivery problem, are you set to deliver individual items, or "single clip". That will affect what is or isn't seen on output.

If you are getting timecode from the wrong track, or the name from the wrong track, then you probably need to go to the clip tab within the burn tool, select the proper clip, and hopefully that will tell Resolve which layer you are wanting.
But again, i think the png is unnecesary. Just adjust the opacity of your overall burn inside the burn tool, this will drop the box and text opacity down, but will still be totally legible for the sound engineer. You can then just leave your burn tool looking at the overall timeline, and will probably get a faster render.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 16, 2017 at 2:34:37 am

[Glenn Sakatch] "is there a reason you aren't just using resolves burn in tool for all of this?"

I'm new to this ☺

LETTERBOX
[Glenn Sakatch] "Adding a png keyable item just to add a box seems like a waste of processor power to me, especially when the burn in tool allows quite a bit of flexabilty with these items."

from what i read in the manual this is done via output blanking, and there is no control over the opacity.
looking again i see i can add the png as a logo in the burn section and adjust opacity.
same amount of processor power?
uh, oh... we want the burn-ins to sit within the letterbox area,
BUT the letterbox as logo sits on top of the clip name & timecode, reducing their visibility

TARGET SOURCE OF BURN
[Glenn Sakatch] "If you are getting timecode from the wrong track, or the name from the wrong track, then you probably need to go to the clip tab within the burn tool, select the proper clip"

how? i can't see any controls for this in the burn tool
ah, i see... select the clip in the timeline on the colour page (so it's red), very good.

thanks for that, i couldn't figure out the clip burn-ins.

DELIVER
[Glenn Sakatch] "As for your delivery problem, are you set to deliver individual items, or "single clip". That will affect what is or isn't seen on output."

thanks , Glenn

nick

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 16, 2017 at 2:22:10 pm

Ah, i see...for some reason i thought you were using a png to create the box that the timecode was sitting in, not the actual letterbox.

If you go to your color page, and select the sizing option, then switch to output sizing, you can create a letterbox here that should be underneath your timecode burn. (Output sizing means it will affect everything that is output, rather than just this individual node. You will notice up top your nodes change from a clip node to a timeline node.)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Questions about delivering & burn-ins
on Oct 18, 2017 at 10:19:34 pm

thanks, Glenn.

that gives the same result as Output Blanking in that it's a hard matte, or in this case an actual crop.
we need a semi-transparent letterbox, so the sound editors can see the original burn-ins underneath:

I'm getting a weird thing were the source timecode burn-in displays differently on different clips
compare the image above with the following one:

any idea what's causing that?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2017 at 3:40:41 am

Hi Nick. You could always just pop a grade node on the whole timeline using a box shape resized to match the aspect masking. Make sure there is not inside/outside or softness so you get a hard edge.

Just drop the luma and you will have a grey aspect mask but will see through to any burn in.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2017 at 4:04:25 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Oct 19, 2017 at 4:07:46 am

On the grade page it looks like this. Note the mask is on the timeline node not a clips node so it is easy to turn on and off plus you can save the node and put it on any timelines.

Note the new burn ins do not lose opacity and the original burn ins should be visible. I hope I've understood what you are doing here.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 20, 2017 at 7:18:23 am

thanks Michael,
yes that's exactly what I want to do.
very ingenious !

i did my exports for this round, but for the next round, i'll use this technique. i imagine it might be faster.

i'm now having a problem with the timecode not showing any info, just numbers
so instead of SRC TC: 01:00:00:00
i just get 01:00:0:00

it could be a simple setting or something I've pressed by accident.
have you encountered this before?

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 21, 2017 at 7:33:13 am

I've rarely used the burn in functions Nick so I'm not sure. Yes my method will render much faster than a png layer with opacity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]