FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove one effect from a node with 2 or more effects?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Remove one effect from a node with 2 or more effects?
on Oct 8, 2017 at 10:09:15 pm

I hate when I have like 3 or 4 effects, or LUT or whatever to a node, then decide I want to delete, say, Film Convert, or a blur effect, but I can't see how other than resetting the entire node. Is there a way to target just one effect and delete it in any given node?

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
Premiere Pro CC 2017 v.11.0

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Remove one effect from a node with 2 or more effects?
on Oct 8, 2017 at 10:34:04 pm

I thought you'd read the manual? 😉 Page 990 and forwards.

If you've added a basic tool (like the normal blur/sharpen) you can turn those "off" by resetting the tool to the default setting.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Oct 8, 2017 at 11:07:37 pm

But you can only turn it off, you can't remove it, right? I'm thinking in terms of making the render lighter, as per my earlier qualm ;-)

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 9, 2017 at 3:52:44 am

You probably should clarify what you mean by effect because you can't have more than one OpenFX effect per node. If you disable a node or disable an effect by turning it off in the OpenFX panel it is not being rendered so you don't need to remove anything if you don't have to. How to remove an OFX effect from a node is on page 994.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 9, 2017 at 3:12:26 pm

You can right click to remove an ofx plug in.

The rest of the issue resolves around trying to do too much in one node. Many have a node for the LUT, and node for the balance, a node for NR. If you use the same workflow and same order of nodes each time, you don't really need to name them after a while, you just know what they are. If you are sharing work, then you may want to name them.

Then it is simply a matter of deleting a node, or disabling a node.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 9, 2017 at 3:31:22 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "Many have a node for the LUT, and node for the balance, a node for NR. If you use the same workflow and same order of nodes each time, you don't really need to name them after a while, you just know what they are. If you are sharing work, then you may want to name them.
"

That's basically how most for-pay colorists operate. Clients are continually asking to be shown what effect a particular action is having on an image and you have to be able to click things on-and-off, before-and-after. Sometimes there will be an issue where some artifact is being introduced, and being able to work through the node-tree is pretty much the only way to troubleshoot a process. Y'know, to figure out where those super-saturated red pixels are coming from.

And, of course, I was recently made aware of a situation where someone (prominent) was tasked as an alternate to re-do a grade, but even though the client apparently went away satisfied.... no, really, not so much. The feedback, by someone else in the client's production totem pole, groused that there really weren't enough nodes used to achieve the grade, and therefore not really a very impressive effort.

You are aware, of course that throwing a lot of switches and pulling levers several times is the sure sign of someone knowing absolutely what they're doing.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Oct 9, 2017 at 7:16:42 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm still getting used to creating new nodes for adding effects. My most annoying thing is I'll do a bunch of color correction on one node, then unthinkingly create a matte with the qualifier to work on skin tones, do a bunch of tweaks, then realize I forgot to create a new node.

For you guys who don't know me, I'm just a hobbyist, I don't have clients, I don't HAVE to do things the right way, I just would like to. And I appreciate any help directed my way, always.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]