FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 12.5 message: "GPU memory is full"

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cohn
Resolve 12.5 message: "GPU memory is full"
on Oct 6, 2017 at 6:45:00 pm

I have been using resolve 12.5 studio (for windows) for months now with no problems. A few weeks ago I began rendering specific clips as DPX frame sequences at source resolution (5K) for the VFX artist to import into After Effects. This also has been working without a single glitch. After more than a dozen such renders, this morning I attempted to render yet another clip only to see a small window appear which stated "GPU memory is full...", and the render itself was a series of frames of video noise. I tried changing the GPU settings in "Preferences" and still the problem persists.

I have checked my EVGA GeForce GTX 780 GPU using EVGA Precision and everything looks as it should. The GPU goes into Boost Clock mode when the render begins but that is as expected. My GPU has more than enough memory for the job (as demonstrated by the dozen renders I have already done quickly and without any trouble). I have not changed or updated any software (including my windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS). At present I am completely baffled and have no idea what might be causing the problem. The only thing which comes to mind is a driver issue for the GPU, but the drivers are up to date.

Many thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions about how to proceed.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: Resolve 12.5 message: "GPU memory is full"
on Oct 6, 2017 at 8:43:52 pm

Hi Michael

For 4K timelines, Resolve 12 officially requires at least 8GB of GPU memory - so 3GB is not great !

Make sure you have plenty of free space on your OS disk for a swap file the size of your system memory that should be larger than your GPU memory....

Try increase the Pre-allocated System Memory value in Resolve Preferences

Try reducing the timeline resolution

Best,
Ole

Return to posts index

Michael Cohn
on Oct 7, 2017 at 12:53:23 pm

Thanks, Ole. I tried your suggestions without success. You're right of course that my GPU is underpowered for a 4K timeline, so I'm going to upgrade and move on. Very strange though that I was able to render so many 5K clips without a problem. Dumb luck I guess. Very mysterious. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 7, 2017 at 3:54:46 pm

Are your camera source files from the same camera type?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Cohn
on Oct 7, 2017 at 4:14:03 pm

Hi Glenn,

Yes, all of the footage is 5K red files. As mentioned in my first post I had been rendering 5K DPX frames from more than a dozen clips with no difficulty until suddenly I couldn't - Resolve informed me the "GPU memory is full". My GPU is underpowered (3GB of memory), but for me the lingering question is how I could render 5K DPX frames in the first place if GPU memory were an issue. Very puzzling.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Oct 8, 2017 at 2:19:12 am

I've found that the only resolution I can set my timeline to without getting that error message (unless I don't use noise reduction or heavy plugins like Cosmo II) is 1920x1080. I can output 4096x2160 DCI, but the ratio is off, causing black bars on both the top/bottom and sides.

btw, I actually can output 4096x2160 even with those error messages, but dissolve transitions don't dissolve, they just stutter step through the transition, which makes the render useless.

Any other suggestions for someone like me? See my specs, below.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
Premiere Pro CC 2017 v.11.0

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 8, 2017 at 8:13:01 am

If you're getting issues that come from having a GPU that doesn't have the power/memory to deal with what you're trying to do, then the only thing that you can do is buy a better GPU. Or work in resolutions that the GPU can do.

There really isn't any shortcuts here.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 8, 2017 at 12:12:05 pm

you could try to do it in passes. grade in one pass, then denoise in another, stabilize in another, transitions ,resize in last render. make a smaller timeline and export in sections. reduce number of nodes per pass. shrink images before import. increase swap file, toggle "use display GPU for compute" or buy 6 titans etc lol.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Oct 8, 2017 at 5:08:08 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Oct 8, 2017 at 5:09:20 pm

OR....I could do it the idiot's way. That's been my modus operandi my whole life 😉

I set the timeline to 2048 x 1080 which is exactly half of 4096 x 2160. It runs smoothly now, no GPU problems. My question, which I actually came here to ask, is, if I set my timeline to the above setting, and choose 4096x2160 as my render resolution, am I getting a 4096 video, or is there deterioration in quality? That's all I need to know.

btw, Chris, my back went out on me last Sunday and I'm still hobbling around, barely, hence no more samples to send you, for now.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 8, 2017 at 5:32:17 pm

[Duke Sweden] " My question, which I actually came here to ask, is, if I set my timeline to the above setting, and choose 4096x2160 as my render resolution, am I getting a 4096 video, or is there deterioration in quality? That's all I need to know."

I actually answered this to you before. If you are setting a higher resolution on export you are upscaling from the timeline resolution. You are losing quality.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Oct 8, 2017 at 6:33:53 pm

So there is no way to export true C4K from Resolve, something that Premiere Pro/Media Encoder do with no problem?

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 8, 2017 at 6:42:08 pm

[Duke Sweden] "So there is no way to export true C4K from Resolve, something that Premiere Pro/Media Encoder do with no problem?"

There is a way: Get a new (or used) GPU that has enough VRAM for what you want to do. Resolve works differently under the hood than Premiere or AME.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Oct 8, 2017 at 6:49:01 pm

I just bought this card. I'll just find more workarounds.
Cheers.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 9, 2017 at 6:05:29 am

and btw, how did a resolve thread end up in the adobe media encoder forum? did adobe buy out blackmagic design, lol?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 9, 2017 at 6:08:29 am

[Chris Wright] "and btw, how did a resolve thread end up in the adobe media encoder forum? did adobe buy out blackmagic design, lol?"

There's probably some sort of "someone mentioned a piece of software let's add this to that forum as well" thing going on in the backend.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 9, 2017 at 3:08:31 pm

Duke, I wouldn't call this the idiots way, I would call this the smart way.

There is very little need to "work" at 4k. I routinely set my timeline to HD, do my work, then switch it back to 4k for the final renders. If you are pulling keys that require the 4k source, then switch over, but I would suggest 95+ percent of your color work can be done in hd with a final switch to 4k prior to render. Even outputting client approvals can usually be HD. In fact my last 4 projects were shot at either 4k or 2.8k, and didn't see the source resolution until final render, except for the day of VFX plate outputs, where the timeline was set to full res.

I have a preset ready to go for 4k, 2.8k and HD and it takes about 5 seconds to switch from 1 to the other.

And yes, you do need to set your timeline resolution to 4k prior to rendering, otherwise you are upconverting from your timeline resolution to your output resolution.

As for your black bars issue, you need to look into the image scaling settings and play with the scale with crop vs scale to fill screen vs force all the corners settings. In there you will find your ability to get rid of the letterbox, while maintaining aspect ratios.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]