FORUMS: list search recent posts

update resolve 12.5 to 14 and continue working on the ongoing projects from 12.5

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Marce
update resolve 12.5 to 14 and continue working on the ongoing projects from 12.5
on Sep 15, 2017 at 7:16:01 pm

Hello,

I am in a fix and need your help.

Getting right to it, I have two ongoing projects in davinci resolve 12.5 (free version) and now want to update to davinci resolve 14 (free version). So, my question is, how do I make the update so that I have my projects intact after the update, and then continue working on the projects after I update resolve (from 12.5 (free version) to 14 (free version)).
Looking forward for your support.

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: update resolve 12.5 to 14 and continue working on the ongoing projects from 12.5
on Sep 16, 2017 at 5:25:16 pm

Usual recommendation is to not try to upgrade during a project, as you can't really go back if something isn't working correctly.

If you must, backup your projects before upgrading. That way if it hits the fan, you can always start over from this point, back in 12.5. Other than that, there is no rocket science to updating.

Uninstall 12.5, install 14, update desktop video and graphics drivers, and you should be good to go. 14 should see your old projects, and probably ask you to update your database. (this is why you backed everything up in the first place)
Make sure your computers graphics card is capable of running 14, as this could trip you up if it is an older system.

Again, once you open and save a project in 14, you will not be able to open that version in 12 again.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: update resolve 12.5 to 14 and continue working on the ongoing projects from 12.5
on Sep 17, 2017 at 4:47:26 am

[Glenn Sakatch] "Again, once you open and save a project in 14, you will not be able to open that version in 12 again."
It is possible to rebuild the project in 12 again, but it takes some time and patience. Basically, you use XMLs to reconform the media and then import stills for all the corrections. Laborious and time-consuming, but it can be done and I have lived to tell the tale.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Sep 17, 2017 at 6:57:18 pm

Yes, you can always find a way of re doing/rebuilding your work in the earlier version of the project, but you can't take the v14 project and directly open it again in 12.5, which is an important distinction.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Sep 17, 2017 at 8:35:57 pm

Thanks Marc.

Good to know that there is a way to bring everything up again.

Your experience would help in case I have to bring up the work again in the old version (although I hope it never happens.. lol, and the update process and then projects work out correctly after the update).

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Marce
on Sep 17, 2017 at 8:29:56 pm

Thank you Glenn.

So, I mean.. the correct way is to:

1. First backup the projects I'm currently working on in resolve 12.5.
2. Make a backup of the backup, in case.. I have to reopen them in 12.5 later (coz the original backup would be modified by version 14).
3. Uninstall 12.5 (free version).
4. Install 14 (free version).
5. And then 14 will read the projects and then open them and continue working.

Right..?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Sep 18, 2017 at 2:02:43 am

Yes, that should work. I would absolutely back up both the 12.5 project database and any recent projects (as DRPs) to make sure there are no issues.

At the worse, if there's a problem with Resolve 14, you could always delete that and reinstall Resolve 12.5, then restore the 12.5 database and/or import the project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]