FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Monitor Setup

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Sheldon
External Monitor Setup
on Sep 6, 2017 at 5:42:47 pm

Hi,

I've been searching the internet for hours and now I'm more confused.

I'm going to purchase a monitor that can handle color better than the Mac thunderbolt displays. I use Premiere and Resolve and I want to use it as a dedicated color grading monitor. I'm probably going to get the BenQ SW320 4K or something similar (I just want to be told which one to get, I'm tired of shopping around, so if you have any better suggestions in the 1k-ish price range then I would be so grateful).

I also need to get a client TV, which may influence which Black Magic hardware I need, I don't know.

What's the gear I need to buy to make this setup work with Resolve (and Premiere)? I'm using a Mac Pro 2013 (probably upgrade to the iMacs when they are released). Our studio is doing more and more 4k. But we rarely output to TV, mainly web.

I would be VERY grateful for help as the more I look for answers online, the more I just want to give up.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: External Monitor Setup
on Sep 6, 2017 at 7:12:31 pm

[Luke Sheldon] "I'm probably going to get the BenQ SW320 4K "

That is a computer display...not really good for VIDEO signals that's meant for television. You'd be better off with an HDTV that you can calibrate. Sorry, I don't have a model to give you, I don't use one for that purpose. I should get one as a client TV though.

As for BMD device, you'll need to look at the Thunderbolt options that have two HDMIs out. The UltraStudio 4K is the lowest end one that has that. Unless you forgo needing two TVs, then you can just get the UltraStudio Mini Monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Luke Sheldon
on Sep 6, 2017 at 7:49:09 pm

Thanks for replying Shane!

That's interesting. So are you saying that if I want to output the image in Resolve to a dedicated screen, it should just be an HDTV and not a computer monitor because of the signal?

So if we get a really color accurate TV (rec.709 at 100%), it will do the job as both a color ref for me and a client monitor?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Sep 7, 2017 at 3:46:54 pm

[Luke Sheldon] "if I want to output the image in Resolve to a dedicated screen, it should just be an HDTV and not a computer monitor because of the signal?

So if we get a really color accurate TV (rec.709 at 100%), it will do the job as both a color ref for me and a client monitor?"

Question 1. Not 100% correct, because many graphics displays claim gamut compatibility that is just an input specification. What it does with the image after that is a manufacturer fudge. DVI/HDMI and so on are just interfaces, and whether the display is valid or not depends on:

Question 2. If it is calibrated. This does not mean "covers [Colorspace ie. 709 or sRGB, or...]" but is doing so, as you say, accurately, which will take some deliberate color management on your part. You will be required to purchase a Black Magic device as an interface between Resolve and your judgement display. The User Interface is not a default color reference. It can be done... but it actually requires quite a bit more effort and technology to make it work than simply deploying a valid reference monitor, the way the application is intended to function.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Luke Sheldon
on Sep 7, 2017 at 4:27:08 pm

Thanks Joseph.

I'll do some research on calibration.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Sep 9, 2017 at 8:02:07 am

Read pp. 660-661 of the Resolve 14 manual: "Limitations When Grading With the Viewer on a Computer Display."

Get a monitor that can be calibrated, get it calibrated, then attach it to your computer with a Blackmagic display adapter (like a Mini Monitor or 4K Ultra). Problem solved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]