FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't import XML from FCPX

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Ti
Can't import XML from FCPX
on Sep 3, 2017 at 7:08:14 pm

Hello,

After learning that it's possible to edit in FCPX and then export the XML to DV for Color grading, I did all my project in FCPX but right now every time I try and import the XML into DV, the program just crashes. I searched the internet and can't seem to find what the problem is.

I have 24 and 30 fps into my timeline : might cause a problem??
I have tried exporting a new XML (filename : Romania for DV.fcpxml) without audio and transitions : still didn't work
I have joined the original XML with everything in it (Romania.fcpxml)

Thank you for your help.

PS : Don't know how to upload file, doesn't work for me..

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Can't import XML from FCPX
on Sep 3, 2017 at 10:24:49 pm

You should contact Blackmagic support and send them the xml files plus information on your versions of FCPX and Resolve. For most of us here this just works so there must be something in your specific situation that needs to be sorted out.

As a general rule, mixed frame rates are a problem for many reasons but it may be something else. Impossible to guess.

Return to posts index

Robert Ti
on Sep 4, 2017 at 2:07:52 am

I narrowed the problem to the fact that I downloaded some video from Youtube and imported it to FCPX. When I removed those videos, it worked. Does someone know what the problem might be with the videos from Youtube?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 4, 2017 at 5:38:43 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Sep 4, 2017 at 5:39:10 am

Do Youtube have copy prohibiting metadata? Maybe Resolve is reading that. Otherwise there could be all sorts of non standard frame rates, codecs and pixel aspects.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Sep 4, 2017 at 5:47:38 am

I personally wouldn't mix frame rates, and I wouldn't use H.264 material. I would convert the H.264 to something in which I can embed reel names and timecode numbers.

FCPXML is actually fairly sophisticated and can bring in quite a few things, including dynamic repositions and a bunch of other stuff. I generally use that if I have to bring an XML into another Resolve session as well.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 4, 2017 at 7:27:14 pm

How about this...OPTIMIZE the footage in FCX...convert it to ProRes. Choose a single folder in an easy to locate spot for that. Then, with all the media optimize, Import that media into Resolve, into the Media Pool, and then import the XML.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Ti
on Sep 4, 2017 at 7:52:12 pm

That's a lot to do just to colour grade. I removed the YouTube videos, was faster like that.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 5, 2017 at 5:29:15 pm

[Robert Ti] "That's a lot to do just to colour grade."

That's actually not that much, but this might be something you aren't used to doing. When I color grade things from FCX, there's a LOT of prep work in order to make things right. But, then again, we have a lot of temp archival that we replace with masters, and we still do a lot of prep to those masters to make them look good and work properly when sent to Resolve.

[Robert Ti] " I removed the YouTube videos, was faster like that."

if the youtube videos were the issue, you can always just convert those to ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Ti
on Sep 5, 2017 at 10:44:56 pm

I actually didn't think of just converting the Youtube video. Thanks for the tip !!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]