FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fusion Connect: Is there a way to use mattes created in Fusion within Resolve???

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
Fusion Connect: Is there a way to use mattes created in Fusion within Resolve???
on Aug 12, 2017 at 7:17:09 am

Resolve 14 and Fusion 9 are much appreciated leaps forward.

One question regarding Fusion Connect: while the Fusion tracker and the ability to create mattes works very well, IMHO, and while I have used it to export from Fusion and import into Resolve to be used as a Resolve external matte, I wonder: Is there a way to create a matte within Fusion and, using Fusion Connect, bring it into Resolve as a matte???

Then one could use the better color tools in Resolve.

As it is, I find the color tools in Fusion to be less easy to use for more refined adjustments.

Simon Ubsdell has a wonderful tutorial on Fusion Connect

but I don't think it includes this facet, if it can be done at all.

Any suggestions???

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Fusion Connect: Is there a way to use mattes created in Fusion within Resolve???
on Aug 12, 2017 at 10:40:51 am

[Michael McCune] "Is there a way to create a matte within Fusion and, using Fusion Connect, bring it into Resolve as a matte???"

First of all thanks for your kind words about the Connect tutorial.

This matte question is one that I know you have asked a lot about in various different ways. Without knowing exactly what it is you are wanting to do, I am not sure why you don't find the matte creation tools in Resolve adequate for your needs. Between the various keying options and the window options with their very powerful built-in tracking, you can achieve almost anything in Resolve in terms of matte creation that you can do in Fusion with the exception of Paint, and certainly more than enough for most color correction purposes.

However, if you do need Fusion's particular toolset for this and you want to use Connect, here's how I'd suggest you go about it.

Make a copy of the clip you want to send to Fusion and stack it above the original. Send the copy to Fusion using Connect.

Make your matte in Fusion (e.g. using a Background with a Polyline Effect Mask), and using a Channel Booleans Copy it to the Alpha of your image. (Do Nothing to the RGB channels.)

Render the result making sure to use a format that supports the alpha channel.

Back in Resolve you now have the ability to grade the inside and outside of the masked area independently because you have two clips to play with: the clip on the lower layer being the outside of the mask, and the Connect clip being the inside. With the Clips view enabled in the Color Workspace you can select the layer you want to work on.

You use all the usual Connect options to revise your matte or create new versions as required.

Does that help? Or is there a very particular requirement that you have for this workflow?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Fusion Connect: Is there a way to use mattes created in Fusion within Resolve???
on Aug 12, 2017 at 11:15:58 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Aug 12, 2017 at 11:23:45 am

There is a different way you could do this and that's by rendering OpenEXR which allows you to access the alpha channel as an external matte directly inside the Resolve Color node, but you can't do this directly from the Fusion Connect clip and you'd have to bring in the EXR image sequence into the Media Pool. So this option would "break" the basic Connect functionality. You could create a workaround though ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]