Avid Offline to Resolve Online

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Diamond
Avid Offline to Resolve Online
on Jul 20, 2017 at 4:05:55 pm
Last Edited By Jake Diamond on Jul 20, 2017 at 4:07:00 pm

Hello,

I just locked a documentary in Avid, and re-linked all the AMA footage to the original source footage in the sequence. After speaking to the colorist, he said he wanted a folder with all the original media, and that creating an AAF of the Avid sequence would link to the original media. My question is:

The original media is spread haphazardly over 6 different drives, and I need to send one drive to the colorist. Do I need to create an AAF (link to media), then find each original source clip/camera card and copy that to another drive to put all those clips in one place? If I do that, will the imported AAF into resolve still link to those clips? Or do I consolidate the sequence, making Avid wrapped media of the original footage and only send him those clips from the sequence with handles.

If I need to send the folder with all the original media, is there an easy way to find the clips from Avid besides copying each clip name into the finder and locating it that way. It's a 90+ minute film with hundreds of clips.

Thank you!

Jake
jakediamondnyc.com

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Avid Offline to Resolve Online
on Jul 20, 2017 at 6:24:46 pm

You could Consolidate from Avid but it will not create Avid Wrapped Media because you AMA Linked everything.

It will Consolidate to whatever the original Clip Codecs were. I have run into one problem with this and this is something that Avid really needs to address at some point. It may have a problem Consolidating certain types of Codecs and those you will have to find manually.

One other way to do this is to Export an AAF of your Timeline and then go into Resolve.
Create a new Resolve Project and add all of your media into the media pool. Make sure that you go into the settings and setup the master project "Conform Options" so that the "Reel" Column is populated exactly the same as the "Tape" Column is in Avid. Now import the AAF and check the Timeline against a Reference Video that you Exported from Avid.

Now you can Consolidate all to the Media from here and send that project to the Colourist.
Just always make sure to add enough handles to cover any long transitions like dissolves.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 20, 2017 at 6:58:03 pm

[Brent Marginet] "Now you can Consolidate all to the Media from here and send that project to the Colourist."

This is getting to be more and more accepted as a hand-off. Create a drp in a compatible version of Resolve, create a Media Bin and populate it with your source clips -- your colorist should be very happy with this arrangement. I've been doing this for a couple of years now, and it is great that the exporters get to troubleshoot the timeline before I get it.

Think about cutting up your feature into 4 or 5 "reels" or separate timelines, so that the source filesize overhead doesn't strain the Media Management feature in Resolve, which can be an "all or nothing" commitment. Some codecs can be trimmed, with handles, to make the source database more efficient... XAVC is not one of them, but R3D is, for example.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jake Diamond
on Jul 20, 2017 at 7:15:22 pm

Thank you both for responding to this. This is my first time going to resolve and I appreciate all the help!

Two questions:

1) What version of Resolve should I use for this - does it matter? I'm on a 2015 Imac Retina, running Avid 8.4.4

2) When you say create a media bin and populate it with source clips, is that just dragging in the original media from the folder at the desktop level? Or just File>Import

My apologies for the simple questions, I've never used Resolve before.

Thank you again!

Jake

Jake Diamond
Freelance Editor
jakediamondnyc.com

Return to posts index

Martin Fox
on Jul 25, 2017 at 12:27:45 am

I find it useful to use the bin column in avid to display the "file path" for the Ama clip. Also from an edl you can get a list of all the clips and paste that list into the os "find" command, you need a Bornlean search term ' and ,or' for this to find all the clips. A little app "easy find" (Mac) defaults to this search term.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 25, 2017 at 2:48:37 pm

[Jake Diamond] "1) What version of Resolve should I use for this - does it matter? I'm on a 2015 Imac Retina, running Avid 8.4.4

2) When you say create a media bin and populate it with source clips, is that just dragging in the original media from the folder at the desktop level? Or just File>Import"

1. Whatever version you intend to export to... but otherwise the later versions have all the "improvements and general stability updates" that will help with a successful export.

2. Import the media used in the project, that is what it means, drag or Import. Then Resolve (successfully linked) will be able to manage all the paths that AMA is supposed to take into account, but sometimes loses. One large difference between MacOS and PC is the order of logical drives. PC always assigns a letter ( /:C, /:D, /:E &c.) that Mac never does, os one aberrtion of this is that your paths will vary depending on the order in which your drives are mounted.

I think Jake means "Boolean" which is a family of logical mathematics, operators including: And, Or, Nand, Nor...

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jake Diamond
on Jul 25, 2017 at 3:02:19 pm

Thank you very much! This all worked perfectly. I have one last question:

In terms of copying media from camera cards, do I include the whole card, and every folder/subfolder to keep the structure intact? Or can I go in and grab just the .mxf file from a Sony FS7 or an .SIF file from a Canon XF100 and populate the media pool with that? This project has 5 different cameras all with different codecs. If I copy the whole card, then the media pool is filled with clips I don't need, and I worry that with the same name for many clips (0001 for example), the wrong clip will be re-linked.

Again, to everyone, thank you for your responses. This is my first time doing this workflow and I appreciate your patience!

Jake
jakediamondnyc.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]