FORUMS: list search recent posts

DaVinci Resolve not exporting at the selected codec?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Jay
DaVinci Resolve not exporting at the selected codec?
on Jul 12, 2017 at 2:18:17 pm

Hi there!

So I have been producing DNxHD Selects from footage shot at UHD, and exporting them at 1920x1080/25p, MXF OP-Atom using the Codec "DNxHD 1080p 100/85/80 8-bit". However when I've then imported those selects into our AVID Project, AVID is reporting a big range of bitrates, some say 85, some 100, some 165, some even 200. How can this be and why is it happening?

The only thing I can think of is on the Advanced Settings section of the video deliver tab in DaVinci there is a Data Levels option, which I have set to Full. The reason I have it on Full is because when I did some tests at the beginning of production, the Selects that DaVinci produced when set to Auto were all washed out. I followed the advice of this article:

@felipemartinez/how-to-export-dnxhd-hr-from-davinci-resolve-and-dont-washed-out-the-colors-706fc2750208'>https://medium.com/@felipemartinez/how-to-export-dnxhd-hr-from-davinci-resolve-and-dont-washed-out-the-colors-706fc2750208

Is that setting changing the Codec? It still says that the selected codec is "DNxHD 1080p 100/85/80 8-bit". Even footage that was shot on the same camera has different bitrates (some 85 some 200) when made into selects. It hasn't really caused a problem for the editor as at the end of the day they are still HD DNxHD clips which work fine in AVID, but I want to know what caused it so I know how to fix it for future productions.

Thanks everyone/anyone for your input!

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
Re: DaVinci Resolve not exporting at the selected codec?
on Jul 12, 2017 at 5:53:21 pm

strange...

I don't think it has anything to do with the "full" setting.
However.. DNXHD is a 709 codec and should be exported in "Auto" or "Video"
Do you see washed out blacks on your computer screen or on a properly connected calibrated monitor?

can you experiment with a few files and export them as DNXHR SQ?

How are you bringing them into Avid by the way?

hector

Return to posts index

James Jay
on Jul 13, 2017 at 8:57:42 am

Hi Hector, many thanks for the reply!

I tried Auto and it resulted in the really washed out colour look so I googled it and most solutions pointed towards changing it to Full, which is what I did. I didn't connect a colour calibrated monitor as these are just for the edit so I didn't think it was necessary, but I did try them on a couple of different regular displays and they all showed them with the washed out look.

I could try exporting a few at DNxHR SQ but the "damage" has been done as I've already gone through all 76Tb of our rushes and made all the selects. As I said it's not the end of the world as they all work in AVID, but its annoying having the mix of bitrates as it will surely affect the quality slightly, as well as drastically change the filesizes of the selects!

To bring them into AVID I'm exporting them from DaVinci into folders that are named only with numbers (I have spreadsheets to tell me which number corresponds to which reel of footage), and then putting them in the Avid MediaFiles-->MXF folder structure. Then once AVID spots the folders, it generates the .mdb file which I drag into the bins in AVID to populate them with the footage. Is it possible that AVID is misreading the bitrates?? I just can't figure out why it's done that.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 13, 2017 at 6:04:26 pm

[James Jay] "they all showed them with the washed out look."

Have you attempted to round trip a known calibration file like colour bars?

Was your original source material flagged as full-range RGB?

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]