FORUMS: list search recent posts

What power does resolve need ?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex gat
What power does resolve need ?
on Jul 7, 2017 at 2:31:02 pm

Hello
I have upgraded my machine on OSX Sierra, I run Davinci 14 public beta, with a i76700K @ 4,6GHz, 32GBRam and a EVA GTX 1080 Founder's Edition, I still don't have a fluid playback of a single 1080HD footage ?!!.
Is that normal ? How can i test my system to see what is wrong.
Thanks for your input.
Alex

Return to posts index

alex gat
Re: What power does resolve need ?
on Jul 7, 2017 at 5:51:14 pm

Me again,
After some investigation, it looks like the cause comes from my drive: I exported the whole edit onto another drive (a sdd) and the playback from there is just fine. Thing is I ran a benchmark on the faulty drive ( a Thunderbolt2 5big drive) and it looks fine !
http://idoia.com/thunderbolt-bench.png

I'll be glad to have any suggestion because I am really stuck.
Alexandre

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 7, 2017 at 5:58:42 pm

To answer the moot question...

"What power does Resolve need?" All you can afford. The recommended configuration keeps moving up in step with that other axiom of nature/vacuum -- the requirement will expand to over-demand the availability.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

alex gat
on Jul 8, 2017 at 12:22:32 pm

The moot question made the free advice not to pass on you.

"Idioms are made for those who wants to believe we know something for sure." Me Myself and I

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 8, 2017 at 4:40:26 am

What type of media is it.
Long Gop Media can be very difficult to playback so that could be part of the problem.

What do you mean by the benchmark looks fine.
Are you certain that the 5Big drive is faulty.
I will say that I really dislike the Lacie Big Series of Drives, they're really slow.
I've also had one drive fail in two different clients drives and the RAID 5 wouldn't rebuild the Volume.
Try running the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test utility to see what kind of performance you can get from that Drive.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

alex gat
on Jul 8, 2017 at 12:19:03 pm

[Brent Marginet] "What type of media is it.
Long Gop Media can be very difficult to playback so that could be part of the problem."

It is a Lacie 5Big Thunderbolt 2, appart from that I don't know where to look for Long Gop Media.

[Brent Marginet] "What do you mean by the benchmark looks fine."
"Try running the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test utility to see what kind of performance you can get from that Drive."

This is what I did, I have attached the screenshot of the results above, and the disk seems to run fast enough, that is what I meant.

[Brent Marginet] "I will say that I really dislike the Lacie Big Series of Drives, they're really slow.
I've also had one drive fail in two different clients drives and the RAID 5 wouldn't rebuild the Volume."

Yes I have heard that, you are scarring me.

Anyway, the speed test seems not to incriminate the disc transfert speed. But then how to explain, frames are dropped when media is playedback from that disc.
I just did another test with some other clips from another day shooting (same format, prores) As a surprise the played back was fluid, so I suspected the clip making the frame drop might be corrupted. But then how to explain that once copied onto a SDD drive, they do not present any playback problem, well, this is tricky.

Alex

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 8, 2017 at 3:34:53 pm

Is it's .mov, .mxf etc and what type of a Camera was it shot on.

Is your Big5 setup as Raid 5 and if so have you checked to see if any of the drives have failed.
If so drive performance will be substantially reduced and your volume will no longer have any protection.
A benchmark test may not truly show the degradation in performance because it tests the drive using a constant data rate.
Real world usage often hits the drive in short high rate bursts and thats when the degraded RAID 5 will really start to show performance problems.

By the way your screen shot didn't come through.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]