FORUMS: list search recent posts

Contrast difference in output

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Syam Kumar
Contrast difference in output
on Jul 4, 2017 at 10:57:49 am

hey i am syam

Im using davinci resolve studio 12.5 in mac pro 6 core machine and using eizo as secondary monitor.

The problem is when i take output of a graded file as apple 4444 or h264 , dpx (whatever its) there is a drastic changes of black level. while seeing in resolve the black level is correct but when i play the same file in quicktime player or some other players the black level is open. is that a bug or is there any settings to clear that in resolve?

Because of this issue i cant judge the black level

somebody tell me whats wrong

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Contrast difference in output
on Jul 4, 2017 at 7:35:45 pm

How are you getting your image to your Eizo? HDMI out from the computer direct? Or are you using BMD I/O hardware, like an Ultrastudio card? The only way to get an accurate image to that monitor from Resolve is with a blackmagic IO card.

Now, as for Quicktime, it's not accurate at all when it comes to colors, and blacks will always be washed out. This is an issue when it comes to playback options on computers, there's no comparing the two. First off, you can use VLC player or QT and they'll look different. If you compress for Vimeo, and watch it with Safari, and Firefox, and Chrome...it'll look different on all three.

Just like what I have to deal with when color correcting a show for broadcast...when I look at it on my broadcast monitor it looks great, but when it's compressed by the network, and then thrown out over the airwaves, it'll look different on my TV and your TV and my mom's TV. Look at a wall of TVs at Best Buy...they all play the same thing, but look different. Because they are all set up different, and have different electronics.

The best you can do is make it look good on your external monitor (calibrated to the best of your ability)...after it goes out in the world, there's not much you can do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 7, 2017 at 2:39:07 am

[Shane Ross] "The best you can do is make it look good on your external monitor (calibrated to the best of your ability)...after it goes out in the world, there's not much you can do."
This is very true. A long time ago, I color-corrected trailers for a major studio, and they spent over six months trying desperately to determine how best to make their trailers look good when seen on YouTube, Vimeo, and other online sources. After literally thousands of tries and all kinds LUTs, conversions, tweaks, and tests, they basically threw in the towel and just said, "make it look good for broadcast and let it go," and that's what we did. We know for a fact the trailer looks perfect on a calibrated Rec709 monitor; after that, it's a crapshoot.

I have done trailers very recently for a different studio, and the guy in charge there said the exact thing, almost like a mantra: once it goes out into the world, there's not much you can do. And that goes for sound, too.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 7, 2017 at 2:46:19 am

Yes my philosophy has been to have audio and video monitoring that can be calibrated and trusted to be accurate. Without a reference point, everything is pot luck. Once you have it looking and sounding right in a reference environment and other facilities do the same, then consistency is maintained. Someone looking on a washed out laptop with power save on will see the same image gamma and color consistent from file to file, Youtube to Vimeo.

If we just use arbitrary reference it looks and sounds crap on good systems and theaters that are properly calibrated. Why penalize those that do it right to chase the people who don't know or care?

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Jul 5, 2017 at 7:17:24 am

Uncheck
Use mac display Color profile in Color management

And try exporting!

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]