DAW Protocols?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht
DAW Protocols?
on Jun 24, 2017 at 11:35:35 am
Last Edited By Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht on Jun 24, 2017 at 11:35:59 am

Hi,

I can not seem to find, which DAW Protokolls DR14 with Fairlight Audio will support. Does anyone know?

Thank you,
Tobias

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: DAW Protocols?
on Jun 24, 2017 at 1:17:49 pm

Not sure what you mean but have you used Fairlight DAWs before. They have been making standalone DAWs longer than most companies. Blackmagic bought the company and are now integrating Fairlight into Resolve.

Fairlight has it's own control hardware, an I/O & processing card called the CC-2 and outboard controllers and mix panels.

Return to posts index

on Jun 24, 2017 at 2:06:44 pm
Last Edited By Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht on Jun 24, 2017 at 2:08:00 pm

From what I heard (and thought I read somewhere), you will be able to use third party DAW controllers with Resolve14, just like there are various color grading controllers (I use Tangent Element) other that the old and new BMD Resolve control surfaces.

I am wondering which protocol for DAW control will be implemented in Resolve14...?

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 24, 2017 at 3:17:31 pm

Havent touched R14beta yet but have you checked Prefs?

Return to posts index

on Jun 24, 2017 at 5:32:16 pm

Yes, I couldn't find any implementation yet... The Fairlight section in the Beta Manual has many empty pages. Just wanted to check if anyone here had heard anything...

Perhaps anyone from BMD reading this, could chime in... thanks.

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 26, 2017 at 1:57:02 am

They said at NAB in April that hardware faders for Fairlight will be coming "later on this year," but would not elaborate beyond that.

They did show kind of a prototype small panel that I think was about the same size format as the Resolve Mini panel, about 12 faders across, just for a small room. No idea of price or availability. My guess is if it follows what Avid has done, it'll be in the $2500-$3000 range.

I have no idea what their compatibility will be with external 3rd-party panels. I can say that Avid has had a history of supporting a handful of Pro Tools mixing consoles for a few years, then they do a massive version upgrade and all support is dropped. This has happened a few times.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 26, 2017 at 5:32:17 am

Fairlight have their own controllers and these will work with Resolve to control the Fairlight side when that is fully implemented.

I've been speaking to the Fairlight people and I am interviewing them and Blackmagic for an article in Audio Technology later this week so I will ask. Fairlight already supports ASIO but who knows if that will carry in Resolve. Blackmagic may not allow an open format for Fairlight as it is already based on proprietary hardware controllers and mix panels.

Also Fairlight is best with their proprietary I/O card and processor - the crystal core card which will be necessary to get beyond limited tracks & bus channels. With the CC-2 card you get 1000 channels, all with EQ & dynamics processing, total automation etc etc.

Return to posts index

on Jun 26, 2017 at 8:01:14 am

[Michael Gissing] "With the CC-2 card you get 1000 channels, all with EQ & dynamics processing, total automation etc etc."

Is that purely a processing card or also an I/O card?

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 26, 2017 at 12:51:53 pm

Both. It goes to various breakout boxes that handle AES I/O and it has MADI on the card. And it handles the extremely low latency processing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]