FORUMS: list search recent posts

roundtrip from premiere - how to force resolve to link to render files

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alius sato
roundtrip from premiere - how to force resolve to link to render files
on Jun 24, 2017 at 7:07:01 am

roundtrip from premiere - how to force resolve to link to render NOT source files?

cc 2017 / 12.5.

yes, it's the first time i'm doing this - please walk me through if there's a workflow that could do this.

the background: the edit is super complex and with a variety of source files, where the adjustments made to them (fps, speed ramps, resizing, masks, etc.) ARE the bulk of the work on the edit. with this in mind, i've chosen to use highest quality render within premiere - almost no generation loss there.

ok - so the project kinda comes over to resolve, but it's linking to the source not to render files - and almost everything would have to be redone if working like this. the only way i can see so far is to look for the appropriate render file and manually cut it on a higher video track. obviously not ideal. the "force conform" to a clip on the timeline (which would still have to be done clip-by-clip) doesn't seem to work either - it refuses to relink.

what gives?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: roundtrip from premiere - how to force resolve to link to render files
on Jun 24, 2017 at 4:15:36 pm

If you want to work that way, just output an uncompressed quicktime, and use that as your source in Resolve.
Output an edl, and use that to cutup the quicktime in Resolve.

I'm not a premiere user, but my guess is the renders you are talking about have no naming convention that resolve is going to be able to use to relink to. They are probably a bunch of files with 32 numbers in their name.

In theory you could manually bring that media in, and rebuild it all yourself...but why bother?

Glenn

Return to posts index

alius sato
on Jun 26, 2017 at 3:57:55 am

[Glenn Sakatch] "just output an uncompressed quicktime, and use that as your source in Resolve. Output an edl, and use that to cutup the quicktime in Resolve.
"

yeah - great idea. it will still cause me gray hair when there's a dissolve in the footage, but that's only a handful of spots to tinker with. and by adjusting the cut / choosing the right tracks in premiere, i'll be able to ex-/import a 2nd edl for dissolves only - containing the necessary handles.

a sample name for a premiere render file:
Rendered - 794ab695-05f9-48fd-8f7a-fb49bea4017b.mxf
with a corresponding metadata file:
Rendered - 794ab695-05f9-48fd-8f7a-fb49bea4017b.mxf.xmp

and yes, the metadata doesn't seem to contain a reference to the original file name, just to a cryptic internal name that premiere has given it.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jun 26, 2017 at 1:20:37 pm

[alius sato] "the "force conform" to a clip on the timeline (which would still have to be done clip-by-clip) doesn't seem to work either - it refuses to relink."

Resolve relinks using the Reel/Tape Name Metadata. Why???
Because the name can and will be changed and then there would be no reference back to the original clip.
If you have a way of changing the Reel/Tape Name Metadata and an extra year to do it then maybe the render files will work.

[alius sato] "ok - so the project kinda comes over to resolve, but it's linking to the source not to render files - and almost everything would have to be redone if working like this."

Although this would be a good idea with complex edits like yours I've never seen any NLE Link back to the render files.
Yes pretty much everything will have to be redone unless Resolve interprets all your special effects exactly the same way Premiere does which is unlikely. I think everyone really needs to use an FX Standard like say Open FX and then all this incompatibilty crap would just go away.

Can you not flatten the Timeline to a single Track before you Export the EDL.
If you can do as Glenn suggests and bring the EDL into Resolve via the "Pre-Conformed EDL" Import Option and all the dissolves will come along.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 26, 2017 at 1:59:20 pm

I think you will find adding your own dissolve in the color version where an original dissolve happens is pretty much seamless, as long as you match the speed of the original dissolve. (color the outgoing shot as you would, color the incoming shot as you would, and dissolve between the two.)

Glenn

Return to posts index

alius sato
on Jun 27, 2017 at 4:33:42 am

"Can you not flatten the Timeline to a single Track before you Export the EDL."

yes, i can flatten it. or export two EDL's where the handles for dissolves are taken on.

but i still think that manual "force reconform" should work - after all the mistake, if any, would be mine, not resolve's.

however, i'm currently making some headway on recreating the sequence from the render files in premiere BEFORE export. if that succeeds, it'll be the better way of dealing with this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]