FORUMS: list search recent posts

Specific workflow question

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marten Köpp
Specific workflow question
on Jun 8, 2017 at 7:35:00 am

Hi guys,

I have been an animator for quite some time and looking to expand my horizon. Since a couple of months I have worked on some small time projects involving resolve. For anything basic it seams to work fine but I want to move on and get to understand this workflow better.

Currently I am doing a short video shot on a 5d mk2. Somewhere I read recommendations to convert the h264 mov coming out of the 5d into DNxHD (I am on Windows) before editing them. After conversion I edited the movie inside Premiere Pro. From there I duplicated the edit and replace it with an After Effects comp for VFX.

I did anything needed to be done in After Effects and saved it. From there, I sorted out the used clips and imported them into Resolve and placed them randomly on the timeline. After correcting and colorizing them I exported every clip individually, went back in to AE, changed all footage, got back to Premiere and rendered the movie.

As said, I am still learning and therefor understand this is not the correct way to do this. Could somebody tell me how the best workflow would be if:

- I start with 5d mk2 footage (1080p 25fps);
- Want to edit in Premiere;
- Want to do VFX in After Effects;
- Want to grade in Resolve.

I work on a Z420 with basic specs (therefor the conversion).

Any leads to online courses or books would also be much appreciated ☺

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Specific workflow question
on Jun 8, 2017 at 3:25:49 pm

[Marten Köpp] "Any leads to online courses or books would also be much appreciated ☺"

Go to the BlackMagic Resolve forum.There is a sticky thread at the top of the topic list that has an extensive collection of references.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Specific workflow question
on Jun 9, 2017 at 3:51:28 am

I do a lot of what you do and it's very similar.
Sometimes whatever works for you is key.
You don't seem to be losing any quality with the DNxHD conversion for CG.
For me, I do both DNxHD/HR and ProRes4444 when it comes to CG work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]