FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Problems in DaVinci Resolve 12.5

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen Zagel
Audio Problems in DaVinci Resolve 12.5
on Jun 5, 2017 at 12:46:25 am

Hello

Recently I got DaVinci Resolve 12.5 on my iMac. Great piece of software. I was out yesterday and shot some glider clips with my Galaxy S7. When viewing the clips (5 of them) 3 of them were in vertical mode instead of horizontal. Okay I figured I can always rotate them in the editor.

In Resolve I went to the color tab and set the rotation plus the width and height. Prior to this the audio wasn't bad except for the rushing of air. But after I re-positioned the clips the audio sounded almost like it was in an echo chamber and very noisy.

I also added an audio clip from Sonic Fire Pro to the beginning of the video and that plays good for the first 3 seconds then slows down and breaks up.

I hope this isn't my iMac? Can someone help my fix the audio?

INFO :DaVinci Resolve
v12..4.019
iMac 9/2015 27” Retina 5K
3.5 GHz intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB

Thanks
Allen Zagel

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Audio Problems in DaVinci Resolve 12.5
on Jun 5, 2017 at 2:10:12 pm

You might not be getting realtime playback. As you manipulate the clip, and add more items to the timeline, you are asking the box to do more and more in realtime.

If you turn off the video track, does your audio clear up?

Have you tried and output to file and checked that file?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Jun 5, 2017 at 2:53:42 pm

Hi Glen

Let me turn off the video track and see. I click the little blue box under the V1 - V4 so there's a little X in it?

No the audio is still bad. I have a short music track 20 seconds ay the beginning of the video. It starts off fine but after a few seconds it seems to slow down. The audio from the videos (shot from inside a glider) sounds muffles and sometimes in an echo chamber is the only way I can describe it.

As far as output-to-file, What is that? Do you mean to render the entire project out?

Sorry but I've been way from editing for about 5 years last having worked with FC studio 2. 😉

Allen

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Jun 5, 2017 at 3:30:18 pm

Hi Glen

Let me turn off the video track and see. I click the little blue box under the V1 - V4 so there's a little X in it?

No the audio is still bad. I have a short music track 20 seconds ay the beginning of the video. It starts off fine but after a few seconds it seems to slow down. The audio from the videos (shot from inside a glider) sounds muffles and sometimes in an echo chamber is the only way I can describe it.

As far as output-to-file, What is that? Do you mean to render the entire project out?

Sorry but I've been way from editing for about 5 years last having worked with FC studio 2. 😉
UPDATE
I rendered the entire timeline to Mov and everything cleared up. All that audio must have been a little much for this iMac to handle. My 2009 Mac Pro is more powerful so maybe I'll put this DaVinci on that machine.

I did an earlier edit in DaVinci that worked great. Used Handbrake to recover some clips from a DVD I made and re-edited one for You Tube. Didn't have any problems with that one.

Allen

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Jun 6, 2017 at 10:27:29 am

Well I got it mostly done. Have to go back and do some correction on the aspect ratio on the first clip.

In the mean time I got it on You Tube if you'd like to see it.

Allen

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 6, 2017 at 3:20:46 pm

[Allen Zagel] "Galaxy S7."

This is likely your entire issue.

All of these microcameras record media with massive data-reduction strategies, not the least of which is a non-uniform or "variable" frame rate. Most American devices state a nominal 29.97, but that is an average target for these devices, and like mp3, they drop whatever is not considered to be essential for reconstituting your motion video stream. Most consumers find it odd that an advanced application like Resolve cannot cope with a non-uniform frame rate (all the consumer *player* software is built to accommodate this technique) but keep in mind, that's all they do.

The general approach to solve this incompatibility is to prep your field footage for editing by transcoding it into a fixed frame rate codec -- ProRes, DnX, are the major families for use in post production.

Glad you enjoyed your fam-flight. I haven't done a tow-launch for a couple of decades now. If you found that exciting, try packing all of that into about 90 seconds sometimes, which is the winch-tow approach. You feel like you're going straight up (what is known as a tactical departure...) The trick is to keep it straight and not yaw/slide off the cable run. (costs altitude gain...)

jpo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Jun 6, 2017 at 8:30:36 pm

Hi Joseph

Yes I agree. Normally I don't shoot 'important' video from the cell phone but I didn't think I'd be going for ride. My brother did tell me about those aircraft carrier type launches. Wild!

I did run the MP4 from the phone through MPEGStreamclip to QT format. MP4 is not a editing format, it's a delivery format. If I knew I was going to shoot video I would have brought my Sanyo Xacti 1010, an HD camera and shot the video with that. This is wild because when I was doing professional safety and training videos for railroads I had a $5k Panasonic P2 camera. One day on the train I mounted my Xacti right next to the Panasonic for comparison shot. We shot at 720P. Looking at the finished videos you couldn't tell the difference between the $5000 camera and my $700 Xacti. That was a huge surprise.

I'm learning more and more about DaVinci Resolve 12.5. I may go back and re-work that glider video but I have some other stuff I want to get up to You Tube as well. Stuff I originally shot with my first MiniDV tape camera. Sony VX2000. From that I went up to the Sony DVcam 250 I believe it was, at which time I was shooting legal video; depositions. When I started the railroad stuff I still used the DVcam until we went HD with the Panasonic. I was also at the same time a railroad engineer so did both duties. 34 years on the railroad and before that a subway motorman in Chicago. Oh yea, I got a 1 track mind ha ha ha
Allen

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 7, 2017 at 1:06:38 am

[Allen Zagel] "Oh yea, I got a 1 track mind ha ha ha
Allen"

As long as you stay en-gauge-ed with life...

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]