FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed Frame Rate Problem while importing XML from Premiere Pro

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
José Gómez
Mixed Frame Rate Problem while importing XML from Premiere Pro
on Jun 2, 2017 at 8:25:04 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is José, I'm a colorist and I've been searching the internet but so far I haven't found a solution to this problem. Hopefully one of you might help ☺

Most of the projects I get come from Premiere Pro, and most of them there's mixed frame rates.
When importing the XML into Resolve, the edit points are correct,
but on every clip that has a different frame rate than to what the timeline is set to, the In/Out points are way off.
To illustrate with an example... and with the only intention of being fairly precise....

the editor has 23.976 and 59.94 material. Makes a sequence in 23.976 and uses both frame rates on it.
I get the XML from that sequence and the source material.
I import the XML into Resolve, and as it should, conforms a timeline set to 23.976 with all the clips with correct edit points.
All the 23.976 clips are ok.
All the 59.964 clips have the proper size and place in the timeline, but it's In/Out points are way off.

I've tried every Mixed Frame Rate Format offered by Resolve when importing the XML (Final Cut X, Final Cut 7, Resolve and None), manually set the frame rate speed of the timeline, as the viewing speed, and matched everything to how is on the Premiere project, but still it doesn't work.
It's not the writing from Premiere, because I tried opening the XML on a different computer in Premiere, and it worked fine. I just had to reinterpret the frame rate speed of the 59.94 clips to how they were set on the editors project.
Manually changing the clips speed in Resolve doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Mixed Frame Rate Problem while importing XML from Premiere Pro
on Jun 3, 2017 at 6:11:26 am

Mixed framerates are bad.

My workaround would be to have them reconform the entire project as a 29.97 project and render all the 23.98 material as 29.97 with 2:3 pulldown inserted. If this is for broadcast, it's pretty much going to air this way anyway.

Another workaround would be to have the Premiere editor render out a flattened file at the delivery timecode rate, then just auto-scene-detect the file in Resolve and work on that. (This is very typical for fast-turnaround reality shows.)

Have I mentioned that mixed framerates are bad?

Return to posts index

José Gómez
on Jun 9, 2017 at 12:24:24 pm

Indeed mixed framerates are bad!
thank you, it seems to be the only way around. Hopefully blackmagic will fix this... sometime...

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 9, 2017 at 2:10:18 pm

Don't blame Resolve...blame Premiere. I have very few problems with mixed frame rates out of Avid to Resolve, but Premiere and FCP (7) could never do it properly as they don't do the conversion properly (or track it properly) in their own software, so the list they output is incorrect.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]