FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere To Resolve To Premiere Team Workflow

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mirko Vlajnic
Premiere To Resolve To Premiere Team Workflow
on May 31, 2017 at 1:50:41 pm

Hello. I work in a production where tam of people is working on one video project.

We use premiere for editing and resolve for color correction and grade.

I know this kind of subject was around few times, but i couldn't find perfect solution for fast workflow between my team.

This is how we do it step by step (and i would like to hear your workflows and advise how to speed up things)

1. We shoot mixed frame rates 25, 30, 100fps, HD and 4K footage.

2. Files are imported into premiere and editing begins.

3. When editing is done we try to simplify project removing all CG's and exporting XML

4. We import all footage into resolve and load XML (which usually imports messed up showing wrong parts of the clips)

5. Clips are imported as master timeline and local clips are set to match master timeline.

5. When grading is done, we make separate resolve projects for each FPS (25, 30, 50) and color trace from master project.

6. Then we export separately each fps category.

7. In premiere we make all videos offline and then re-link them to graded footage. (we use time remap a lot and there are a lot issues when graded footage is imported back to premiere)

That would be it, its really pain to do it, specially when there are short deadlines.
I would really like to know more about how you guys do it, because i'm sure im doing it wrong. There must be some easier and faster way of doing it.
As well we have a lot of trouble with timecode overlays, so any advice on adding reel names and timecodes would be great.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Premiere To Resolve To Premiere Team Workflow
on Jun 1, 2017 at 6:01:25 am

What is the final delivery format for the project? Traditionally, the way to figure out workflow is to start from the end and work your way backwards.

There are some good reasons where you could just do all the final assembly and color in Resolve, render a flattened textless version, and then only use your editing platform for titling, adding sound, and the deliverables. We're getting pretty close to the point where you could do all of the final in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Premiere To Resolve To Premiere Team Workflow
on Jun 2, 2017 at 4:13:47 am

My guess is your problem starts with the mixed frame rates going into premiere, and the having it try to do the frame rate conversion.

My further guess is if you look at the timecodes that premiere has assigned to some of those clips, inside the xml that was sent to Resolve, you will find out those timecodes don't exist. Usually because Premiere is just kinda making them up when it does the conversion. You then are going back to a 25 fps clip, or a 29.97 fps clip, looking for a timecode based on a 23.976 clip.

Frame rate conversions are pretty important to be done correctly, and i never feel Premiere (or the old final cut) ever did it properly. Avid is very good at tracking this information.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]