FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to export from 4K Cinema DNG to HD H.264 for Facebook

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
Best way to export from 4K Cinema DNG to HD H.264 for Facebook
on May 21, 2017 at 11:25:26 pm

Hey guys, quick question. I'm trying to figure out the best way to export for facebook. I record in full Cinema DNG Raw 4K and am trying to figure out if it's best to use Davinci to export directly to H.264 or if it's better to export a ProRes 422 4K master file and then export an H.264 from there or direct from the RAW.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Best way to export from 4K Cinema DNG to HD H.264 for Facebook
on May 22, 2017 at 3:25:56 pm

The answer is more based on your needs.

Typically you would always have a very high quality master, that can then be used to create what ever type of distribution you may need in the future.

If this is a video of your cat taking a swing at a fish bowl, that you want to share with your MeMa, perhaps you can justify not having a 4k master.
If this is something you are going to use down the road in a platform other than face book, perhaps a 4k master is justified.

I work in film, broadcast and corporate, and I always create a master. Even for a corporate that they only want to put on Vimeo... I can't tell you how many times they come back, wanting to do changes, or turn it into a commercial, or something like that. If all I had was the vimeo copy, we would be in trouble.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on May 22, 2017 at 3:31:03 pm

I typically keep a media managed copy with handles of the RAW data from the timeline, I was more curious which leads to a better result.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 24, 2017 at 1:51:11 pm

It would stand to reason that the better result would start with the highest quality source, but since all your sources are going to be quite high quality, it probably doesn't matter.

I'm not sure what Resolve does for H.264, but i'm guessing a simple test will tell you that any version you output, is just as good as the other.
If you can't tell which is which, then go by which ever workflow is the easiest.

Next question will be whether Facebook re-encodes...i'm not a facebook guy, so i have no idea.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]