FORUMS: list search recent posts

Contrasted images when importing an XML into DaVinci Resolve 12.5 (TECHNICOLOR CINESTYLE applied)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matteo vla
Contrasted images when importing an XML into DaVinci Resolve 12.5 (TECHNICOLOR CINESTYLE applied)
on May 20, 2017 at 1:20:35 pm

Hello guys,

I'm having some trouble importing an XML file into DaVinci Resolve 12.5.

Basically few months ago I shot some footage with my Canon eos 6d using the technicolor cinestyle.
Today, after I finished the editing with Premiere Pro CC, I exported a XML file in order to do the color correction with Davinci Resolve.

The problem is that when I import the file in Davinci Resolve, I lose the technicolor cinestyle properties , so images are not flat at all and they keep the standard canon picturestyle, with high contrast and saturation.
It is very weird cause when I was editing in Premiere I still had the technicolor cinesyle on it.

Could someone help me out to find a solution to keep the cinestyle, when I import the timeline in Davinci Resolve?

Thank you very much,

Matteo

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Contrasted images when importing an XML into DaVinci Resolve 12.5 (TECHNICOLOR CINESTYLE applied)
on May 22, 2017 at 6:30:27 am

XML doesn't keep track of what LUTs or other similar adjustments you make, so you're basically screwed. You'll have to reimport the LUTs and just do the correction over again.

What I would suggest as a workaround:

1) just export a flattened file with the baked-in correction from Premiere and use Resolve to do touch-ups

2) export a temporary version with the look in it, then use that as a visual reference to recreate the same look (or just a starting point).

There's nothing in the so-called Technicolor looks that you can't already recreate with the controls provided in Resolve, given enough time and experience. You could in theory bring in those styles in Resolve and then just match them to what you have.

In the real world, we frequently throw out the temporary look used during editing and just come up with something "similar but better." In some cases, we have lucky accidents where we're able to create something different but better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]