FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video dark after XML import

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Birkir Asgeirsson
Video dark after XML import
on May 20, 2017 at 12:42:08 pm

Hi

I edited my video in Premiere Pro but I wanted to grade my project in DaVinci Resolve. So when I import the XML file to DaVinci everything looks good except the video is to dark. I Googled my problem and found out that there is a button in the Project settings under Color management called "use mac display color profile for viewers". That actually fixed my problem when I was editing the video on a Mac. Now however I am using a Window machine and this button or any other similar is not visible. I have tried to change the color space but that wont fix my problem.

I am using Window 10 operating system and DaVinci Resolve 14.0.0b.020

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Video dark after XML import
on May 22, 2017 at 6:31:45 am

Don't try to judge color and brightness on the GUI monitor. Use an external calibrated display, and use a color-managed signal out of a Blackmagic Design video output. This will give you much more reliable results.

Return to posts index

Birkir Asgeirsson
on May 22, 2017 at 10:56:37 am

Yeah but if there is a button to fix this when Im using Mac, there must be a way to fix this on a Windows computer as well, right?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 22, 2017 at 3:16:59 pm

Unfortunately, the "fix" is to not assume a gui on a Mac and a Windows box will look the same. Different engines, (I'm assuming) different monitors, different graphics cards with different settings. Ask yourself 1 question, "why would they look the same?"

Go to your local big box store with the wall of TVs...which one is correct? Why is that one green, that one dark, and that one over saturated. (ok, they are probably all over saturated)

The "fix" is to use a properly calibrated broadcast monitor that does not care what OS platform you are using.

Once again, we need a sticky, or was offered in another question somewhere, a popup from blackmagic when no external hardware is detected. "Viewed color on a computer GUI are not intended to be accurate- calibrated external hardware is recommended"

Glenn

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 24, 2017 at 4:17:13 am

Glenn is 100% right. Read p. 572 of the Resolve 12.5 manual: "Limitations When Grading With the Viewer on a Computer Display."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]