FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setup PC for 4K

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dimitris Panagopoulos
Setup PC for 4K
on May 3, 2017 at 10:00:59 am

Hello, I want to build a new computer which I will use for color grading 4K RAW material (mostly with using DaVinci). I would like a little help with the hardware. Can I keep some components from my old computer so I can run smoothly 4K?

My budget is 4.000 euros or 4.366 U.S. dollars. Thank you!

My computer specs now are:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz, Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM: 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H (Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz)
Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (I know i need Quadro card for 10bit)
Internal hard Disks: 1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00DC0B0 ATA Device (SATA)
232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series ATA Device (SSD)
External hard Disks: 2794GB Western Digital WD Elements
2794GB Western Digital WD Elements
7452GB LaCie P9237

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Setup PC for 4K
on May 3, 2017 at 6:42:23 pm

[Dimitris Panagopoulos] "Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (I know i need Quadro card for 10bit)"

You don't need 10-bit necessarily for the UI. How are you intending to display the judgement output?

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Dimitris Panagopoulos
on May 3, 2017 at 7:06:44 pm

Hello,

With LG 31" Digital Cinema 4K IPS 31MU97 monitor.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on May 3, 2017 at 8:08:49 pm

Two suggestions...
1-for a moderate price, you can get 10 bit video processing with a 10 series GTX card
2-the best way to get the thruput datarate needed to playback 4K, realtime, is to use a motherboard with Thunderbolt II or III.

Return to posts index

Dimitris Panagopoulos
on May 3, 2017 at 8:18:37 pm

Hello,

For your first suggestion i read here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/985731/gtx-1060-375-26-not-output-... & here: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3011/~/10-bit-per-color-... that you can't use GTX cards for professional applications.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on May 4, 2017 at 7:27:16 am

You don't need a Quadro but you will need a GPU with lots of memory to actually do anything in Resolve. You can't do anything with 4K footage with 2 gigs of VRAM. I would recommend a GTX 1080 which is fairly cheap and pretty powerful.

Also a 10 bit viewer in the software doesn't matter because you should be using a Blackmagic I/O device (like a Mini Monitor) for monitoring.

Return to posts index

Dimitris Panagopoulos
on May 4, 2017 at 8:10:25 am

Hello,

Sorry but i'm quite lost... I read everywhere that if i want to work with 4K RAW uncompressed 10bit i need a quadro to output a 10bit color and a 10bit display.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 17, 2017 at 1:19:38 am

You "should" be using a broadcast monitor for your color decisions, which would be fed by a BM output device.

A Quadro will output your gui, and can be used for compute, but your gui display should not be your main monitoring device. Many do it, but it is not the "correct" way of working.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 17, 2017 at 4:53:53 pm

[Dimitris Panagopoulos] " if i want to work with 4K RAW uncompressed 10bit i need a quadro"

Resolve would be the outstanding exception to this widespread perception. If you are monitoring operations within the UI, there are a number of applications that require the GPU to support 10-bit output. Resolve's managed color output is implemented through display hardware -- they have a number of qualified products, on-board, and outboard, starting with their Decklink line. There are some limited options for using the UI preview as a pseudo-grade reference -- it takes extreme care and no small expense to set this up (calibrate and configure) to make this viable.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]