FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended video card for me?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaitlyn McLachlan
Recommended video card for me?
on May 1, 2017 at 10:55:15 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my video card so I can functionally do some video editing. Have a bunch of 4k clips, although I can use the "optimized media" in davinci resolve. Right now I only have a GT 620 which I think has 1gb (shared?) gpu memory. I've got an i7-3770, SSD drive and 24GB of RAM (DDR3 I think?).

I have to imagine virtually any modern graphics card would be a nice upgrade, I don't think I can go for a top-of-the-line as I'm more or less just starting off, but don't want something that will hold me back or continue to cause slowdown frustration either... I guess I'm looking for the best value/best balance?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Recommended video card for me?
on May 2, 2017 at 2:33:05 am

For 4k frame sizes, 8gig GPU ram is recommended. Maybe a second hand 1080 or older model Titan X.

Return to posts index

Kaitlyn McLachlan
on May 2, 2017 at 2:41:44 am

Elsewhere I was pointed towards the 6GB 1060. Seems like good value as the 8gb cards seem to really jump in price. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 2, 2017 at 2:53:25 am

If 4k matters, the extra GPU memory makes a big difference to real time performance. The other ting to consider is Resolve 14 has a new playback engine which gives much better performance so maybe you can get the required performance with the new version. It's still beta so I'm not recommending upgrading to it yet unless you are prepared to beta test.

Return to posts index

Kaitlyn McLachlan
on May 2, 2017 at 2:56:22 am

Yes i actually only had resolve 14 installed for like 5 minutes before I went back to 12.5...

I've been using the "Optimized media" though I guess having something like an 8gb card means you don't exactly "need" to be doing this...?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]