FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understanding the resolve workflow: Exporting Quicktime vs DNxHR for 4k project

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Gustafson
Understanding the resolve workflow: Exporting Quicktime vs DNxHR for 4k project
on Mar 31, 2017 at 11:09:20 pm

Hi all - I'm working on an edit in Premiere Pro CC. The timeline is 4k. The final project will be 1080, but I'd rather keep my timeline 4k. When baking via Premiere (Render and replace), I'm faced with codec options: Quicktime (CineForm) or DXxHR (native). I would think I would want DXxHR native since it would be the closest res to my original footage; but the guy who's doing my color told me Quicktime.

Does resolve work with reference files somehow and then I re-link to full res later? I thought color ended up exporting new files out of Resolve.

I'm just trying to understand this process more. I've read a lot about it, but still don't quite understand.
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Understanding the resolve workflow: Exporting Quicktime vs DNxHR for 4k project
on Apr 1, 2017 at 8:05:56 am

Don't lets confuse wrappers and codes.
QuickTime is a wrapper as is MXF,WAV, AIFF
DNxHR is a codec as is ProRes, JP2K

So you are looking at a codec choice. DNxHR or Cineform.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Understanding the resolve workflow: Exporting Quicktime vs DNxHR for 4k project
on Apr 1, 2017 at 11:07:27 pm

If chosing DNx codecs to go to Resolve, you are probably better wrapping it in .mxf . Over the years there have been some issues with DNx codecs wrapped as quicktimes with gamma errors between NLEs. I don't know if that is currently the case with your version of Pr but it makes no difference to Resolve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]