FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fields reversed...possibly

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
Fields reversed...possibly
on Oct 14, 2016 at 8:19:42 am

I set up the project to be 1080i59.94, as that's our delivery, and that is the format of a lot of the footage. But the issue is that there's many clips that play wonky...they look odd, like the field order is reversed. is there any way to change it? I did see in the CLIP ATTRIBUTES the ability to make it UPPER or LOWER, but that doesn't do anything. Also, I cannot deinterlace the clip....that option is greyed out. Why is that? I was able to test with footage before, but now it's greyed out.

What other options are there to deinterlace. I need to do this as I have a UHD delivery that I need to make, and that's 4K 30p. I looked in the manual and there is ZERO reference to deinterlacing, even though it is in the interface settings. I googled it and find links to YADIFF plugin. But I can't find the proper page to download it..all pages lead to a list of complex files, none of them are what is mentioned.

Anyone have ideas?

thanks

Shane

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Fields reversed...possibly
on Oct 14, 2016 at 8:13:23 pm

[Shane Ross] "Anyone have ideas?"

yeaghh....

Dealt with a 23.98P project a short while ago that the editor swore up and down had been exported as a progressive single file, but what I saw obviously had some kind of field dominance in it -- there was a significant amount of NTSC 29.97 that had been added to the original Premiere timeline. The dead giveaway was that played in reverse, the field motion looked smooth. And it definitely was not, going the other way, Play Forward.

Do a search "dominance" in the 12.5 Manual. Under Project Settings and Preferences there is some counter-intuitive advice. Depending on whether or not your project is progressive or interlaced, you have to choose alternate approaches. The advice is Enable video field processing in an interlaced project, but to de-select it in a progressive one, or it will disable Deinterlacing. I know....?

There is another discussion under "Changing Clip Attributes: in Chapter 9, "Working With Media."

You are aware of course that the way FCP used to deal with dominance is to shift the media 1 pixel vertically.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 14, 2016 at 10:16:03 pm

THis is an interlaced project...delivering 1080i59.94, and a majority of the source is 29.97 interlaced. Someone said I couldn't deinterlace unless I was in a progressive project. So silly....

OK, I'll look up dominance. I will also check this media in another app, Avid or Premiere, and see how it plays there. It might be a case where it was converted with the wrong field dominance...that happens from time to time.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 15, 2016 at 3:56:28 am

[Joseph Owens] "Do a search "dominance" in the 12.5 Manual. "

I just did. ZERO hits. I get 4 hits for the word DOMINANT, and it doesn't refer to fields..."dominant formats."

Turns out that it's a speed change issue. The footage was slowed 50%, causing this issue. I needed to add the clip again, and retime using RESOLVE, that made it better.

Thanks

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 15, 2016 at 4:29:45 am

Nope...that wasn't it...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 15, 2016 at 4:31:24 am

The footage looks great in Avid. Plays back properly. Not in resolve. And switching field dominance to UPPER or LOWER and saving does nothing. And I don't see what setting in the Project Settings to adjust...nothing in the manual about this.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 15, 2016 at 4:45:29 am

I just created a new project...1080i59.94, drop frame. But the clips when played back didn't show both fields in the external monitor...when paused with two fields, I saw the jigsaw image...not jutter between the fields. BUT I was allowed the option to DEINTERLACE.

This is really perplexing the hell out of me. Why is this so complicated? Didn't have an issue with other projects that were 1080i 59.94, only this one. WIth archival footage...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 15, 2016 at 4:49:53 am

MASTER PROJECT SETTINGS...the difference was that ENABLE FIELD PROCESSING was checked in my main project, but not in the test one I have. I unchecked it and then was allowed to deinterlace. So for some reason it's processing the fields WRONG. Not sure how to make it do it right.... BUT, at least I can fix these clips...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 20, 2016 at 11:49:29 am

I find the deinterlacing and fields confusing too. I have a plugin in Boris CC10 which llows me to deinterlace and chose between lower and upper but it doesn't seem to do anything in Resolve on the Color page??

I have solved a few interlace problems by rendering files in Adobe Media Encoder, reimporting and force connect replacing. Media encoder seems better at deinterlacing, except when archive is delivered with baked in interlace combing in a progressive file. ggrrr.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 21, 2016 at 5:55:23 pm

Just for reference, 1080i is ALWAYS Upper Field First, LFF version does not officially exist. Just mentioning that so you don't end up with custom Sequence of 1080i LFF as a fix somehow, as that would not be a good deliverable to anyone.

But I agree, field issues are never any fun.

Say, would you be able to post a short clip for download somewhere so that we could experiment with solutions?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 21, 2016 at 5:59:38 pm

It's an upper field project...I didn't change that. I was trying to change the field order of the clips.

I'll try to post a couple clips for people to look at. Again, these work fine in Avid, but not in Resolve. It'll be tonight, I'm at my other job.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:25:02 pm

Sorry this took so long. Here's the clip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jyfrpn2276oicn/TEST_CLIP.mov?dl=0

It's SD interlaced, 720x486. I was blowing it up to 1080i59.94 in Resolve. In Avid, this plays back fine out to a monitor...looks fine in a 1080i project. Resolve...no...it looks like crap.

Thanks

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]