FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring text (credits) from project to project

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
Transferring text (credits) from project to project
on Sep 26, 2016 at 11:07:42 pm

I online show...as you can gather, me working with Resolve. And I'm getting shows sent to me textless, as a lot of times text doesn't come over well. OR...the final credits, for example, aren't done yet, so it's up to me to make them. And I will be delivering the show from Resolve, no round trip.

I need to have a way to transfer credits I built in one project to another. I took a long time building and aligning these credits, and they are nearly identical to the ones in the other episodes. In FCP, I can open the other project and COPY PASTE them over. IN Avid, I can open the bin and copy them to the clipboard, load into my SOURCE viewer and cut them in. In Premiere, I can open the project or sequence up and copy paste. Since Resolve is a finishing app, the ability to do this is pretty essential. Just need to get a series of texts from one sequence to another.

Do you know if that's possible?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Transferring text (credits) from project to project
on Sep 27, 2016 at 2:34:40 am

If you have the supers and credits in one Resolve timeline you can copy paste from one timeline to another. If it is between projects I am not sure but you may be able to transfer the text tracks via xml between Resolve projects.

I get text from FCP7, Pr and X and although it comes across and with the right font if it is installed (just like FCP7) the position info may not be quite right. Often it is close but line spacing kerning info may not track perfectly depending on source xml. Avid is more problematic for text if a plugin is used like the subtitle plugin in Avid.

When it comes to rolling or fancy end credits I use Boris Continuum text OFX plugin to do that. That can let you copy paste the text between projects by dropping it in a rtf/docx file. You can certainly copy the Boris plugin between timelines. Text is still a bit primitive in Resolve but getting much better.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 27, 2016 at 4:30:26 am

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Sorry, I do mean copying the text from one project to another...separate projects, not timelines. I emailed the ever amazingly helpful Alexis Van Hurkman and he said:

"You can absolutely copy/paste title generators from one timeline to another, or from a timeline in one project to a timeline in another project. The one caveat is you can only copy/paste clips between timelines that have the same frame rate, but in your case this is probably true. (I’m trying to get them to change this, but we’ll see)

To do this, you need to enable “Dynamic Project Switching.” Open the project manager, right-click anywhere in the background, and choose “Dynamic Project Switching” to turn it on. This lets you open more than one project at a time, and switch among them, copying clips and grades and even timelines from one project to another."

And you switch projects by clicking at the top of the Resolve interface...where it shows the name of the project. Click on that and you can see all the projects you have open. So copy from one, switch projects...paste in the other.

BRILLIANT!

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 27, 2016 at 4:36:59 am

I thought there was a way other than the cheat xml. Generally I run Resolve the same as I used FCP 7with multiple timelines in the one project.

Thanks for the feedback Shane.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]