FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Resolve on iMac

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Richards
Davinci Resolve on iMac
on Sep 19, 2016 at 8:51:04 pm

I'm looking into buying a new iMac for editing/coloring/etc, but I'm pretty technologically clueless and have trouble wrapping my head around most of the info out there. I want to be able to run Davinci Resolve 12.5 (the free version for now, but eventually I'd like to buy the full version) as smoothly as possible, so I wanna make sure the specs for the 27inch iMac I'm looking at is sufficient:

4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
32GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - four 8GB
1TB Fusion Drive
AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB video memory

Most specifically I haven't a clue about the graphics card, and I wanna make sure there's NOTHING that I find my computer struggling with. As for the rest (processor, memory), am I overcompensating? Could I go with less? I'd love to save a bit of money, but never at the expense of performance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Davinci Resolve on iMac
on Sep 19, 2016 at 11:50:28 pm

Above all, Resolve relies on GPU (Graphics card). 2GB is pretty low for RAM on a card for Resolve...that might be fine for 1080p stuff, but underpowered for 4K. And might not be the smoothest when dealing with most camera original formats (H.264 or Red or other) You need to get a machine with 4GB of RAM for that....the AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB that you can get when you modify your order would be the one I recommend.

So yes, if you get an iMac, you need to max out the processor as well as the Graphics card...and 32GB of RAM. That's a $3600 machine, FYI. If you went with a PC, you could get it for half that, easily. Or build a Hackintosh, like I did.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Davinci Resolve on iMac
on Sep 20, 2016 at 5:04:00 am

BMD's recommend Resolve hardware specs on their website are pretty specific. I personally don't think an iMac is ideal for Resolve (for a lot of reasons), but it can work with HD-only material and very fast drives. The lack of upgradability is a big concern.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]