FORUMS: list search recent posts

DaVinci Resolve to Avid Pro Tools problem

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
François Dumoulin
DaVinci Resolve to Avid Pro Tools problem
on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:10:02 am

Hi everyone,

I tried to export my editing from Resolve 12.5.2 to Avid Pro Tools with the Deliver Pro tools preset but, in Pro Tools, I lost all my automation keyframe (volume and pan). I did request to BMD support about that and the technician told me Resolve can't export audio automation keyframe in the AAF file.

I tried to export a XML or fcpxml file. I keeped my automation keyframe in Adobe Premiere, FCP7 and FCPX but I had new problems :

• In Premiere and FCP7, I had only the left channel of my stereo audio files. My stereo audio track of Resolve was convert in mono track by the XML.

• FCPX had a best result but if I have 1 audio file of 3 tracks, FCPX show my 3 times the same audio track (I had 3 times the audio channel 1 in my timeline and I lost my audio track 2 and 3.

• My question is, you, how do you do your Pro Tools sessions from DaVinci Resolve to keeping the audio automation keyframes?

Thanks for your support!

Francois Dumoulin
    Editor & colorist | FDCOM
    Administrator | Montreal Creative Front

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
    Re: DaVinci Resolve to Avid Pro Tools problem
    on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:37:00 am

Francois,

Why do you need any audio mixing/keyframing info when going to Protools? Most sound mixers and sound designers would typically strip all that away or request that you do so before delivering the project to them?

David Roth Weiss
    Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
    David Weiss Productions
    Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

François Dumoulin
    on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:49:33 am

Hi David,

My mixers in my want to keep the automation like a pre-mix or a reference.

In second point, in Resolve editing, we lower the volume of unused microphones in the pre-mix (the version for the broadcaster approval) to leave access to the others mics in Pro Tools. Actually, all mics was « open » and the mixer don't have access quickly to the right mics.

Thanks for your help! :)

Francois Dumoulin
    Editor & colorist | FDCOM
    Administrator | Montreal Creative Front

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
    on Sep 13, 2016 at 4:14:07 am

Gotcha! Figured premix was the reason... It does seem illogical that every company supports AAF and XML differently, but it seems standards are a constantly moving target. Since Resolve's heritage is picture, not sound, if there are weaknesses in the app now that it does virtually everything, it's only natural that audio might be the weakest link in the development of the product, though it's probably good enough now for most users.

Meanwhile, thanks for bringing this up, it's good to know for future reference. And, I hope you find a good solution that will work for your projects.

David Roth Weiss
    Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
    David Weiss Productions
    Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
    on Sep 14, 2016 at 5:29:22 am

François Dumoulin commented: "My question is, you, how do you do your Pro Tools sessions from DaVinci Resolve to keeping the audio automation keyframes?"

I agree with David above: the LA Pro Tools sound mixers and editors I know throw all the editor's pan/level decisions away, but will refer to a temp mix rendered from the editor. Two audio utilities out there that will create conformed Pro Tools sessions from XMLs include Preconformer and Conformalizer. This is a very standard process for TV and film mixes from Avid, Premiere, and FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]