FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Resolve - GPU Memory Full

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zachary Moore
Davinci Resolve - GPU Memory Full
on Sep 13, 2016 at 2:52:25 am

I have a bit of a weird problem I'm trying to solve. I have a bunch of footage from a Sony A7S that I need to transcode into Prores so that I can edit it on Final Cut Pro 7 on my trusty old 2008 Macbook Pro. What I normally do is run it through Resolve Lite (it's an older version, 9 I believe) and just export everything into prores. It's a slow workflow and a little bootleg, but it works for what I'm trying to do. At least, it has up until now.

I have a particular batch of footage that's been giving me trouble. As soon as I click on the folder with the clips in the Library window, I'll get this message: GPU memory full - please decrease the number of correctors or reduce the timeline resolution. I've done some research and played around with Resolve, and I'm pretty sure I figured out what this issue is. For some reason, this camera was set to record at 4K resolution, and Resolve apparently needs a lot of processing power to handle 4K footage. My computer can deal with Resolve while it's transcoding 1080p footage, but it's just not powerful enough for 4K.

I know the easy answer to this: get a new computer already. While this would solve my issue (and it's something I'm planning on doing eventually), my current old Macbook Pro works for 99% of what I need it to do. And it can handle all of the other footage we shot in 1080p just fine.

What I'm looking for is either:

-A way to change the settings in Resolve so that it doesn't use up all the space on my GPU. I don't need to color or edit, I just need it to transcode the 4K footage into 1080p Prores.

-Some other way to transcode 4K footage from the Sony A7S into 1080p Prores that is preferably free, and will run on my 8 year old computer (however slowly! speed is not an issue, it just needs to work).

Here's my computer's specs, if that helps:

OSX 10.6.8
Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
Re: Davinci Resolve - GPU Memory Full
on Sep 13, 2016 at 5:40:08 pm

the Sony line of splendid and expensive toy cameras called alpha (A7S among them) records a format called XAVC-s which is a less-pro variant of Sony's XAVC. This format is based on highly compressed h264 (with poor color depth and chroma sub sampling) using a LongGop compression. XAVCs was introduced in 2013, when your MacBook Pro was already outdated and makes much newer computers than yours weep processing its HD variation (so imagine 4k...). I'm even surprised Resolve 9 supports the file.

all that to say... you should really upgrade, even Mac Pros from 2008 with 8 cores are old and dated.

as for using external tools.
maybe might work for you.

check these out.

Sony's - http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystprepare
Divergent's (recommended) - http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

hope this helps.

hector

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]