FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clips are all black

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Johnston
Clips are all black
on Sep 8, 2016 at 3:26:18 pm

Hi,

Lately I've been opening up my projects and all the clips in the media pool are showing up black.

I've gone through and checked all the paths to the original source files, and they are all in the same place as the path specified in Resolve. However, for some strange reason, when I right click on a clip, and click Reveal in Finder, nothing happens.

I've double checked the paths five or six times just to make sure that I didn't change the name of one of the folders. Everything is exactly the same as it was when the clips were functional, and all the video files are still in those folders.

What could have happened?

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
Re: Clips are all black
on Sep 8, 2016 at 3:30:36 pm

can you repeat this problem?

ie. if you open a new project, bring media in save then close it and re open, will the clips be all black?
or does it only happen on certain projects?

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Sep 8, 2016 at 3:46:43 pm

[Hector berrebi] "if you open a new project, bring media in save then close it and re open, will the clips be all black?"

This works fine, the clips still show up when I open a new project after closing it.

Here's the thing though,

I just noticed that my library has duplicates of existing volumes with the number 1 added in the name.. and it also has volumes that are no longer on/attached to my computer.

Here's a pic

"OS X Snow Leopard" doesn't even exist on my computer anymore.

The original volumes that were duplicated (the ones without the 1) are empty when I click on them.

Could this be causing the issue?

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Sep 8, 2016 at 3:54:26 pm

yup. could very well be the problem.

i assume that picture is from the media pool?

go to preferences and remove empty/unwanted volumes
restart resolve, and check again.

hector

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Sep 8, 2016 at 4:02:46 pm

Big thanks for that info,

but will the new folders still have the number 1 in their name after I restart Resolve?

That would be kind of inconvenient, because I would have to update the source folder for all the clips in all my existing projects, wouldn't I?

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Sep 8, 2016 at 4:08:06 pm

[Geoff Johnston] "but will the new folders still have the number 1 in their name after I restart Resolve?"

What I meant to say was, will the new VOLUMES have the number 1 in their name?

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Sep 8, 2016 at 7:05:56 pm

As of version 12 I think. you can relink by selecting a top directory, even a volume, and let resolve scan it and find your media. :)

previously I meant that in preferences (not settings!) you can maybe remove the unwanted volumes.. if they show up there

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Sep 8, 2016 at 10:10:22 pm

Unfortunately, I can't find the option "remove empty volumes" in Preferences.

Here are the five preferences panels that I can choose from:

Is it somewhere in the Media Storage panel?

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:00:39 pm

Ok, well the fix was easy enough. I restarted my computer and now everything is back to normal :)\

All the duplicate volumes have disappeared and my clips are back.

Thank you for your help Hector!

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Sep 9, 2016 at 5:29:43 am

restart :)
the oldest fix in the book. I always assume people tried it before posting a question...

Btw, that option was the little minus sign in the second preferences panel.
What version or resolve are you using?

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Sep 9, 2016 at 9:18:39 pm

I should have tried the old "restart" before posting, but I was trying to take the program seriously, and to think more logically. I guess that's never a good idea when you're dealing with computers.

Oh, I get it now, so by removing the scratch disk, I remove all the volumes because they're stored inside it. That's a smart trick.

I'm using Resolve Lite 9 because I have lots of ongoing projects that I started grading back in 2013, and they al crash when I try to open them on a newer version of Resolve. So until I'm completely sure that I won't need to use those grades anymore, I'm stuck with V9.

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Sep 10, 2016 at 12:22:07 am

Now I have a new problem. When I export a jpg or png image from one of my stills, the jpg or png is completely black.

Restarting my computer didn't solve this problem. Do you have any advice on how I can fix this issue?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]