Settings for resolve with FSI

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sachin Desai
Settings for resolve with FSI
on Sep 8, 2016 at 3:38:54 am

Hello,
I've purchased FSI 171 Monitor for grading,

My graded material would be a regional film which is going to release in theatre.

What should be my resolve settings, mainly gamma and Color space

And what should I keep in FSI

WHITE BALANCE, gamma and Colorado space .

I know it should match but wanted to know the best or ideal for getting correct or close to my grading when it is projected in theatre

Thanks

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Vagelis Kasapakis
Re: Settings for resolve with FSI
on Sep 8, 2016 at 8:58:13 am

We have found that setting the monitor's gamma to 2.0 (in a dark room) gives a better match to theatrical projection's blacks and contrast. But we are still no sure.
You can try to contact FSI, they have great support.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Sep 8, 2016 at 9:12:32 am

I would just keep it set to the normal 100 nits and Rec709, and let your DCP conversion software handle everything else.

In truth, I don't think it's possible to get perfect theatrical results grading on a small monitor, because so much of your perception changes when you look at a 20-foot display vs. a 25" (or 50" or whatever) display. There's also a major change in how you perceive reflected color off a theatrical screen rather than the direct color in an LCD or plasma or OLED monitor. It's not the same. Ideally, I'd suggest scheduling a screening in a grading theater once the project is done, and take notes and make changes as needed. In a perfect world, I'd book a day or two doing a trim pass in the theater if that's possible.

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:56:51 am
Last Edited By Sachin Desai on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:57:29 am

Thanks for the reply

marc, i know I am asking for too much, but there's limitations in budgets for our regional films so i will have to work this way, yes you are right I can check in some facility and make notes, I'll exactly follow that. Sounds good to me.

but still default gamma in resolve is 2.4 and I've found out on other forums that 2.5 is good for this king of work in dark room. and d65 on monitor and rec 709 on monitor.

DCP guys do nothing here... they just convert the dpx / mov whatever we give them to and make dcp.

is it better to generate dcp from resolve or its better to give it to the dcp guys.?

thanks
sachin

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Sep 10, 2016 at 10:10:20 am

"but still default gamma in resolve is 2.4 and I've found out on other forums that 2.5 is good for this king of work in dark room. and d65 on monitor and rec 709 on monitor."

Well, as luck would have it, I just happened to watch a Rec709 job I did about a year ago at a film festival tonight, and it was shown on a 20' screen, from a DCP in P3 color space. And after all that... it actually looked fine. Parts of it were among the best-looking images shown among that group of shorts (and that's due more to the DP than me). Gamma was not an issue -- blacks were still blacks, grayscale was still fine, whites were still reasonable. My only thought was I felt I could've used about 5 points more saturation, but that's about it. And this was a straight, very normal Rec709 -> P3 conversion through a LUT.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]