FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Protools workflow

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
laura nasmyth
Davinci Protools workflow
on Sep 2, 2016 at 5:56:34 pm

///// does anyone know how to export audio from davinci resolve 12.5 to protools??

decided to use davinci for editing and are now having real troubles getting the sound out!

a simple aaf export isn't working, would be very grateful for any tips!

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Davinci Protools workflow
on Sep 3, 2016 at 12:38:10 pm

Try the "export to protools" preset in the deliver page.

Return to posts index

laura nasmyth
on Sep 5, 2016 at 12:33:25 pm

.....'Try the "export to protools" preset in the deliver page.'

Thanks Peter - This doesnt work though, the export takes less than a second and the information is missing when we try to import into protools.

I have heard there's a workaround through premiere, but is at least 2 days work. There must be a simpler alternative? I do not see how a quasi 'editing' program can NOT offer a usable audio export...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 5, 2016 at 9:23:29 pm

The Protools export function does work. Why it isn't working for you is hard to know. Are all audio tracks enabled? Are you marking the in/out point correctly?

If you are familiar with setting up all parameters on the delivery page and it still doesn't work there may be issues with your particular project as others are using this export function without such issues.

Return to posts index

laura nasmyth
on Sep 6, 2016 at 8:54:48 am

hi michael!

we are talking about the rendersettings - protools on the delivery page?

all tracks are enabled, the in/outs set although this is another problem - sometimes it only lets me set the 'in' marker so i have been trying with render 'entire timeline'. linear pcm as codec....

i'm not sure what i could be doing wrong here, are there any parameters specifically to watch out for?
and is it normal that the export takes under a second? otherwise the problem might be on importing it into protools...

grateful for any advice!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 6, 2016 at 8:41:42 pm

There is very little to adjust with the built in Protools export options. In the video tab (advanced) add handles here. The audio defaults of PCM individual clips, tracks per source, etc are correct. You can change bit depth to 24 bit. Makes the files a bit bigger but audio people prefer maximum bit depth.

Choose a destination folder in the file tab, leave the unique names defaults and then click Add to Render Queue. Go over to the Render queue tab on the right of screen and click start render.

Let it run (it will take a lot more than 2 seconds and then check when doen that the AAF plus the consolidated audio media is in your designated folder. You do not go to the file menu and export an AAF. This export option is totally different to the normal way of rendering then exporting an AAF or xml. I suspect that is what you have been doing not letting Resolve automatically make the AAF as part of the audio render.

Return to posts index

François Dumoulin
on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:20:54 am

I Michael,

I know the Avid Pro Tools deliver preset don't allow the audio automation keyframes (volume, pan) export. Do you know a way to export a edit from Resolve to Pro Tools with this informations?

I tried by Premiere, FCP7 and FCPX and I keeped the audio automation keyframes but I lost audio channels.

Thanks for you help!

Francois Dumoulin
Editor & colorist | FDCOM
Administrator | Montreal Creative Front

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 13, 2016 at 4:24:12 am

Hi Francois, I don't want that keyframe info and frankly would rather a simple bullet proof OMF so I didn't know it didn't support that info. The ProTools export is a relatively new function in Resolve and far from perfect. I suggest you feed that request to them directly.

I'm using Fairlight and by the time I set up my sub mix busses all keyframe levels or EQ would be meaningless.

Return to posts index

François Dumoulin
on Sep 13, 2016 at 1:41:41 pm

Hi Michael,
I already ask this request to BMD.
Thanks for your support! :)

Francois Dumoulin

Return to posts index

François Dumoulin
on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:59:03 pm

Hi Michael,

How many time do you have to mix a 30 mins tv shows? I'm curious to see if the reality in Australia is the same of Montreal.

Thanks! :)

Francois Dumoulin

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 13, 2016 at 11:58:15 pm

François, I do documentaries usually hour or feature length. I run my own business so I charge a rate for total post including grade/online. I take the time the job needs and usually allow a minimum two week turnaround. I spend time tracklaying and processing things like iZotope noise reduction so I would typically mix an hour doco in eight hours. Then review with director we might spend another half day to tweak.

Typical TV turnarounds are likely to be the same in Australia as Canada. I am luckily outside the sausage factory of reality TV.

Return to posts index

François Dumoulin
on Sep 14, 2016 at 3:19:59 am

Thank you Michael for you answer! Our reality are similar ! :)

Francois Dumoulin

Return to posts index

Peter Lee
on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:21:36 am

Hi Michael, I am currently editing a drama series in Resolve 12.5 Studio and I can't export with handles. I added 50 frames of handles in the video tab but the audio files are unchanged. The Sound engineer says there are no handles and the file size is the same as when no handles are selected. What am I missing? Thanks for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:35:34 am

Hi Peter. I had the same problem recently. I think the ProTools export from Resolve is not doing handles as expected. I haven't wanted to go to 12.5.2 as I am mid job but if you can you might want to test if the bug has been fixed.

Return to posts index

Peter Lee
on Oct 28, 2016 at 2:00:21 am

Thanks Michael, unfortunately I am on Resolve 12.5.2 so no luck there but I have had some success exporting via the 'audio only' tab with handles and exporting an AAF from the timeline menu. I have no idea why this has worked and not via the protools tab.

Windows 10
Davinci Resolve 12.5 Studio

Return to posts index

Giannis G. Georgiou
on Feb 28, 2017 at 8:21:39 am

Hi Peter,

I've been having quite a trouble with exporting from Resolve. How exactly did you do the AAF & Audio Only combo you describe here?

"I have had some success exporting via the 'audio only' tab with handles and exporting an AAF from the timeline menu."

I can do the Audio Only export and it gets me a list of .wav files. Then, when I go back and export an AAF from the timeline menu, there is no option to connect the AAF with these file, is there?

Thanks,
Giannis

Return to posts index

Randy Larcombe
on Nov 16, 2016 at 12:49:58 am

Hi Laura, Did you ever get resolution to this problem of exporting to pro tools? I've just had a job that was on deadline and I couldn't export to my audio guy so had to do it myself. He said when he opened in protools he kept getting 4 layers of audio but nothing was in it. Just wondered if you found a solution. Randy

Return to posts index

laura nasmyth
on Dec 25, 2016 at 3:49:35 pm

hi randy,

no, never found a sollution - i ended up handing it to an editor, who then exported all the sound clips seperately and rebuilt it in fcp/protools...not sure. i think it took him 2 days and there were still many mistakes.

so unfortunately i did not get any wiser on this topic and shocked that davinci does not stand to this,
this is something you should know before editing in resolve!

did you ever find a sollution?

L

Return to posts index

Randy Larcombe
on Dec 26, 2016 at 2:52:45 am

Not that for project no. However, when I did my next project everything exported fine. I have no idea why there was a problem so I am none the wiser. I am sure it was something simple but I couldn't get help from anywhere. It was very frustrating. I was on deadline so I had to do my own audio. Less than ideal so I don't have any confidence in it yet.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 1, 2017 at 9:04:41 am

The way that the sound mixers I've worked with have worked around this problem is to do the following:

1) export an XML from Resolve

2) create a small ProRes LT file with visible timecode at the top of the frame (so they can see footsteps at the bottom), with a rough mix to follow

3) make a complete set of all the sound source files and copy them to a drive

4) give the XML and drive to the Pro Tools editor/mixer, and have them use Conformalizer to reconform the entire cut within Pro Tools from the original source files:

http://www.thecargocult.nz/conformalizer.shtml

I find this is a more reliable method for quite a few editing programs. There is a more direct connection for Avid -> Pro Tools, but they're owned by the same company.

Return to posts index

Ray Argall
on Mar 25, 2017 at 12:48:10 am

Hi all,

Interesting topic, thought I’d add some experiences with this workflow and throw some more queries at it.

I have just upgraded to 12.5.5 so this is the most current version of Resolve. I’ve been working with the sound editor for a couple of days on this and have not been able to export an .aav or .xml that will read properly in Pro Tools 12 (or 10 for that matter). Using the Pro Tools export on the deliver page of Resolve will read in PT, but shows the clips as “Untitled”. Using this path also means recreating all the audio files in .mxf rather than PT linking to the original source audio (preferred path).

We have found the best option is to export from the deliver page of Resolve using the AVID AAF option (rather than PT option), which reads all the audio files with their correct names in PT and links to the new .mxf audio files. It does add a prefix or suffix however so would have to go through force enable if we were to try and relink to source clips (we haven’t tried this yet). However the PT session has random errors throughout with many clips not matching up on the timeline and being anywhere from frames to many seconds out of position.

One bit of good news is that we have handles on the audio clips - there is no handle selection in the AUDIO tab but by selecting say 50 frames in the VIDEO tab it appears to work for audio as well. It even works when the video export is disabled. Thanks Michael (Tassie Devil) for that tip!

We have disabled the video export as we already have a video file from the same timeline; and have exported all rendered audio into a unique folder, using the .aaf created from that session to import into PT.

None of the volume levels, pan, speed or FX components of any audio clip are reading in PT. Conversely if I export an .xml, FCP brings all those components across (except for some FX). I would like this info to be there for the sound editor as there are a lot of keypoints we’ve added and even if used as a guide these will save considerable time (rather than me going through every single one or referring back to the edit all the time).

As Michael mentions it will take a while (took 3.5 hours to export/render 90 min doco with 15 tracks of audio)

I should add that the audio tracks come from a range of sources, codecs and some have speed changes added (2 - 4% to address synch issues with digitised 1/4 inch audio), but FCP can read all those changes, whereas PT can’t, or it’s baked into the newly rendered files.

So has anyone else found that PT can read an AAF or XML that will link to source audio files and retain keyframe/levels/pan/speed info?

We tried Marc’s workflow with XML and using Conformalizer but haven’t been able to get that to work. We have a complete set of the source files copied, but PT is not reading the XML. Perhaps there are some options in export we’re not getting right? We exported the XML from the Edit page not the Deliver page.

Many thanks for any other thoughts! It would be good if BM could get a seamless workflow/roundtrip between Resolve and PT.

Ray

Piccolo Films
Sydney Australia

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 25, 2017 at 2:16:17 am

[Ray Argall] "We tried Marc’s workflow with XML and using Conformalizer but haven’t been able to get that to work. We have a complete set of the source files copied, but PT is not reading the XML. Perhaps there are some options in export we’re not getting right? We exported the XML from the Edit page not the Deliver page."
Did you ask the Conformalizer people for support? I guarantee you they'll have an answer.

Return to posts index

Ray Argall
on Mar 25, 2017 at 4:21:56 am

Thanks Marc, I'll definitely get in touch with them and report back. The sound editor I'm working with has been using Conformalizer to reconform edit changes from EDLs but it sounds like the software will do a lot more.
Cheers,
Ray

Piccolo Films
Sydney Australia

Return to posts index

Ray Argall
on Mar 28, 2017 at 1:56:30 am

Hi All,

Further update, I took Marc’s advise and contacted Justin at Conformalizer. He responded quickly but unfortunately did not have good news and said a roundtrip workflow between PT and Resolve was a fantasy, and that getting a decent sound export from any platform other than MC was really difficult - and even that had it's own problems. He echoed others in this thread that say the editors level and pan info is not much use and they’d rather start from scratch with pan, level and FX.

Fair enough, and on projects with decent budgets and resources that makes sense, but I’m a bit stunned that in 2017 there is not an effective NLE roundtrip between Editors and Sound editors work. Gee, sprockets was slow and hard work but we spoke the same language…

The challenge I'm facing here is that it’s best to link to a dupe copy of the source audio, rather than a new set of audio files in .mxf that contain only the cut audio and don’t link back to the source audio. Handles are a help but I would rather be able to link back through the original audio file. In this project there are quite a lot of speed changes in audio and when they don’t read through to PT it becomes very messy, effectively meaning you have to manually re-synch and restore speed, pan and volume settings to all those audio clips in the timeline again. If you can only link to newly created audio files you lose all reference to not only the pan and volume info but also the speed adjustments that were made. It’s almost tempting to sound edit in FCP 7, as that appears to be the only workable roundtrip to keep track of all those adjustments that were made!

I look forward to hearing someone else has cracked it! Otherwise will report back here when we have…

Ray

Piccolo Films
Sydney Australia

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 28, 2017 at 7:43:54 am

Thanks for the update, Ray. The only alternative I can think of is to re-import the XML into Avid, then export an AAF from there into Pro Tools.

One real issue is the ALE (Avid Log Exchange) file, which contains all the metadata on the sound reels, dates, video file names, timecodes, and so on. Keeping that straight is a huge task, and it's a big part of why Avid works as well as it does.

I can tell you that I've been part of projects where the sound editors have been able to just rebuild the project over time, and (assuming the project is locked) it's doable manually if you have somebody fast and experienced. It's absolutely true that most sound editors & mixers throw out the picture editor's pan & level decisions, but they do retain a source file to give them the gist of what was mixed in the offline.

I have no advice on how to improve the inter-operability with Resolve except to check in during NAB and see what happens with the next Resolve release.

Return to posts index

Randy Larcombe
on Mar 28, 2017 at 9:35:40 am

Thanks Ray for doing all that work. At least I know now it's not just me. I have found a work around until the issue is fixed by using Final Cut Pro X. Resolve does talk very nicely with FCPX so if I export an XML for FCPX, import that XML into FCPX I can then export another XML and import that into an application I use to hand off the AAF to my sound guy called X2Pro Audio Convert. https://x2pro.net With that application you can add handles as long as you want. I've just done a test just now with 20 second handles and he said it opened perfectly. It's not perfect but it does work and it's not nearly as complicated as it sounds.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]