FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delivery/Exporting alternative

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
enrique bartolo
Delivery/Exporting alternative
on Aug 31, 2016 at 12:25:39 am

Hi everybody, I'm looking to export my Davinci Resolve projects from a different/better software similar to Adobe Media Encoder. I'm using Windows and I find the DR version of the H.264 output to be to compressed and the DXNHD output is to massive in file size. I'm also looking into having more exporting flexibility just like how Adobe Media Encoder provides.

I also wondered if there's any possible way to transfer my DR project to After Effects, and from After Effects transfer it to Media Encoder. Or perhaps After Effects offers better exporting than DR?

I apologize if it sounds confusing but any kind of help or advice for better DR exporting would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Delivery/Exporting alternative
on Aug 31, 2016 at 2:17:08 am

Enrique,

This is one of those instances in life where what you're thinking is very logical, but nonetheless, you need to modify your thought process. And, what I'm gonna say doesn't just apply to Resolve, you should apply to every video editing, compositing, color app, etc.

I want you to think about what you're editing on the timeline as your master... And, it should be edited in a timeline with the appropriate sequence settings you'd choose if you were going to create a master that is going to be your best and only copy you'll ever need. It doesn't have to your last copy, that's just so that you'll get the editing idea that I'm promoting...

I any case, once you're done editing the timeline with the sequence settings you need for your master, render it, then export a master at the same settings. Now, use that master in any other app you want to create whatever other deliverables you need.

You'll not lose a generation this way, believe it or not, it's faster than exporting to a non-matching codec from the timeline, and you can use the master in any app that gives you the settings or codecs you need. Plus, encoding from the master in another app will not tie up Resolve, allowing you to do other work while the encoder does its job in the background.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

enrique bartolo
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:36:18 am

Hi David, thank you for your response and insight. Honestly, I always thought "export" and "render" was the same thing but what you're saying is totally right. I'm still learning new things here and there, but in this situation I just want to export my Davinci Resolve project as a master for Vimeo. I don't know exactly which codec to use that's best to upload for Vimeo, and how to choose the best settings for it. Also, I'm using Black Magic Pocket RAW files. And again, thank you for the response, it was actually kinda inspirational.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:35:52 am

Here are Vimeo's own recommendations for settings:

https://vimeo.com/help/compression

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]