Horrible graphics problem overnight

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guy Mannerings
Horrible graphics problem overnight
on Aug 30, 2016 at 8:39:41 am

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with this.

I am using Da Vinci resolve on my laptop (Asus UX303LA). It's definitely not an editing laptop, but has been working fine just for emergency editing.

I was using it yesterday successfully, no problems. I have opened up my Resolve project today and have horrible graphics issues in the playback window and also on the timeline.

There have been no changes on my laptop overnight - no windows updates, same graphics driver (latest), no changes to the footage, etc. The footage I exported yesterday plays back fine in Windows Media Player, so the issue seems to be limited to Resolve.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Picture examples:-

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Horrible graphics problem overnight
on Aug 30, 2016 at 12:37:00 pm

What is the source material? What kind of resolution and frame rate are you working with?

I'd be curious to know what kind of GPU is in this laptop as well. There are some extremely powerful laptops out there nowadays, but the unfortunate truth is that not many of them work well with Resolve, particularly at higher resolutions and with demanding camera Raw files.

Return to posts index

Guy Mannerings
on Sep 8, 2016 at 12:33:41 pm

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply.

It's mixed media, and happens with every kind. I currently have 720p MPEG2 29.97 and it's doing it on that, whereas the example shots were 1080p H.264 24.

The GPU is built in to the CPU (i7 5500u) and is called "HD Graphics 5500".

The curious thing is this worked a few days before and now is not.

I hope that helps!

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Sep 8, 2016 at 4:07:15 pm

definitely your GPU.

be happy when it works :) used to be that Resolve wouldn't even start on such a week graphic card

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Sep 10, 2016 at 10:07:07 am

"It's mixed media, and happens with every kind. I currently have 720p MPEG2 29.97 and it's doing it on that, whereas the example shots were 1080p H.264 24."

I would agree with Joe: it's a miracle you got anything at all out of it on a laptop.

MPEG material is not good for post, and H.264 is also bad for post -- both of them eat up a lot of system overhead just in playing back, even before you try to color correct anything.

I would convert them both to an easier codec like DNxHD 220, and then see how that does. In truth, Resolve is a demanding application that needs a lot of hardware for good performance. The config specs on BMD's support page are pretty specific.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 30, 2016 at 2:07:16 pm

This looks like a memory overload exhausting your GPU resource. Its spectacular to see it working with 4K AVX, a couple of nodes of NR, and an OFX plugin that does temporal processing! Trying not to let clients know about it, because they'll all want it as a special effect.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]