FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to monitor using Flanders Monitor -- Any suggestions?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Olson
Need to monitor using Flanders Monitor -- Any suggestions?
on Aug 29, 2016 at 3:15:02 pm

Hi Crew - I am using Resolve and am looking to monitor using a Flanders Scientific monitor and an HDMI client monitor. I have an AJA T-Tap, but am having the damndest time getting signal to run to the monitors via SDI (Flanders) and HDMI (Client).

Does anyone know why this is? I heard that you could use this hardware configuration, but I am not getting any luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

- to

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Need to monitor using Flanders Monitor -- Any suggestions?
on Aug 29, 2016 at 3:48:31 pm

Where did you hear that you could use any hardware except a Blackmagic I/O card or device to display to a broadcast monitor? I ask because it's fairly common knowledge that their own I/O cards and devices are considered to be like dongles that enable the software.

Keep in mind, DaVinci setup typically cost a quarter of a million bucks until BM bought the company, and now they give the software away. Purchasing a Blackmagic card or device is a very inexpensive gateway to DaVinci, which is the deafacto standard of the industry.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tristan Olson
on Aug 29, 2016 at 4:15:27 pm

Unfortunately, I heard that right here on the cow. Was told that I could output from a MacPro into T-Tap then out to my Flanders Via an SDI.

Bummer. Guess I have a worthless T-Tap.

Then can you recommend what Blackmagic hardware I should use to monitor Resolve out of a MacPro to a Flanders via SDI and an HDMI client monitor?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2016 at 4:44:36 pm

[Tristan Olson] "Then can you recommend what Blackmagic hardware I should use to monitor Resolve out of a MacPro to a Flanders via SDI and an HDMI client monitor?"

Depends on which MacPro you have... If you have a older tower, then I'd recommend a Decklink Studio 4k or 4K Extreme, depending on your needs. If you have a newer Thunderbolt equipped trashcan MacPro, I'd recommend an Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tristan Olson
on Aug 29, 2016 at 4:47:26 pm

I have the new MacPro. The Intensity Shuttles don't have SDI out, correct?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2016 at 4:58:57 pm

That's correct... I tried to add the BM Intensity series to my last post, but I was unable to edit the post. For SDI out you'll need one the BM UltraStudio series, such as the UltraStudio Express or 4K.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Tristan Olson
on Aug 29, 2016 at 5:41:34 pm

Could you use the UltraStudio Mini Monitor?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2016 at 6:09:22 pm

Possibly, maybe even probably, but I'm not personally familiar with the product. Better call Blackmagic...

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Aug 30, 2016 at 12:37:19 am

I'm using a mini-monitor; and, it works great.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 30, 2016 at 1:57:33 pm

[Tristan Olson] "Bummer. Guess I have a worthless T-Tap. "

Maybe it was an enthusiastic Zelin post, understandable because it is a relatively inexpensive box that does an interesting thing, converting Thunderbolt output to HDMI/SDI. Which is great but... thats not how Resolve works. Either you force-calibrate your UI, which is also not how it was envisioned to function, or you follow the yellow brick road out using the devices it was designed for, which is pretty much all of the Blackmagic I/O box/cards/ thingies. Its about controlling the result, and to get there, it was determined that managing the hardware was important in order to bring some order to the chaos.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 30, 2016 at 1:25:24 am

The BMD MiniMonitor has both HDMI and HD-SDI outputs, and you can use them both at the same time. You cannot monitor a hero signal for color correction directly out of a Mac or PC without a Blackmagic card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]