FORUMS: list search recent posts

UHD Punch-In and export to HD

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard Levy
UHD Punch-In and export to HD
on Aug 27, 2016 at 8:14:52 pm

I'm new to Resolve , and have 12.5 light.
I simply want to take a scene shot in UHD , punch in on it and export that to HD .
The basic idea of getting a closer shot out of the 4K for HD editing.
Seems simple enough but I haven't the foggiest idea how to do it .

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Lenny

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: UHD Punch-In and export to HD
on Aug 27, 2016 at 11:59:22 pm

[Leonard Levy] "take a scene shot in UHD , punch in on it and export that to HD"

Pull it onto an appropriate resolution timeline... DCI, UHD... might be better to match the settings to the media, although you could simply create a 1080 timeline. Look at your project settings to make sure you aren't double scaling it on import... use the transform settings in the edit tab to establish your framing, pick the HD output and codec of your choice in Deliver and.. submit Batch.. Render.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Leonard Levy
on Aug 28, 2016 at 12:24:01 am

where is the transform setting in the edit tab?

Sorry to be so dumb.

Return to posts index

Leonard Levy
on Aug 28, 2016 at 3:18:13 am

OK I figured this out partly. My problem was just that hadn't selected the timeline. Once I did the controls became obvious.

However now I was able to punch in on the timeline I went to deliver page and set up the parameters for exporting (1920x1080) and then hit add to render cue and Resolve just quits. Over and over.

I've got a 3.5GHz iMac w 32G memory and a 4G Cuda Card. What am I doing wrong

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 28, 2016 at 7:02:44 am

iMacs are not great for 4K video. A more powerful computer with better CPUs and faster GPUs (with more RAM) will help a great deal.

Return to posts index

Leonard Levy
on Aug 28, 2016 at 7:08:53 am

Actually it turned out I just needed to take out an illegal character from the file name - %.
Should have known that from the beginning.

Can't really justify a more powerful computer just yet. What do you think is the minimum to use these days for 4K?

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Aug 28, 2016 at 10:56:15 am

Leonard,
The answer to your question depends on what hiccups you're willing to put up with. I was editting on a pretty fast PC (4GHz, 32G RAM), using nothing but SSD's for media drives; and, I was still getting stuttering timelines in 4K. I finally added a second video card, one of the new GTX1070's to my existing Quadro K4200. That seemed to cure the problem.

Return to posts index

Leonard Levy
on Aug 28, 2016 at 5:40:00 pm

Thanks Bill,
Well as I have an iMac I might be stuck unless I want to cough up another $6K for a Mac Pro with more graphics RAM. I'm not primarily an editor though, just a shooter, but with a camera that shoots UHD. Do you know if Premiere will be more processor friendly in UHD for me?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]