FORUMS: list search recent posts

System and versions?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
System and versions?
on Aug 26, 2016 at 2:22:15 pm

Hi all,
I'm thinking about trying out DaVinci as a free editing software. Two simple things are preventing me from downloading and experimenting, Info I can't find through the Black Magic support or forums (even after reading the sections of the manual about setup):

1. What Mac hardware and OS is required to run DV 12.5? I am using an 2012 MBP with OS 10.8.5 to edit using Premiere CC 7.2.2. 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16G RAM

2. Are different/legacy versions of DV available and supported by BM?

Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: System and versions?
on Aug 26, 2016 at 3:32:46 pm

Robert,

Don't sweat it, just download the latest version of the software and try it out. Resolve is very install and uninstall friendly, and it seems to work nicely with just about any version of OS X, though I'd advise El Capitan, simply because it works for Adobe apps and BM apps.

I'm running it was on a 2008 MacPro and it works just fine. Of course, it will give you better realtime performance with more RAM, faster and more recent processors, and a beefy GPU, but don't sweat that now while you're learning the app.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 27, 2016 at 3:40:01 pm

[Robert Withers] " Info I can't find through the Black Magic support or forums (even after reading the sections of the manual about setup):"

Under "Support" in the Black Magic website, there is a configuration guide available as a pdf -- latest is newMacPro-centric, but there is an older September2013 document describing hardware implementation for the Mac Pro 5,1 and slightly earlier.

It is wiser to go with the later versions -- projects are somewhat incompatible between releases and assuming that earlier Resolves are not as sophisticated in incorrect. The process is still exactly the same, except more. ("Murray Walker")

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Aug 27, 2016 at 9:32:03 pm

Thanks, jPro
I did find the current configuration guide but curiously, it didn't mention Mac OS version.
Thanks for the ref to the 2013 version . . . I'm leary of trying to work with software that is so difficult to learn about

Also interested to hear that "projects are somewhat incompatible between releases" since I typically work for a few years on a project and am already challenged by Adobe CC changing versions faster than I produce projects. You would have to do some deep searching to find that Pr CC versions are not backward-compatible and are specific to Mac OS versions -- I only know this by following all the Pr CC discussions regularly, and trying a newer version than I'm actually using.

Cheers

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 27, 2016 at 11:55:25 pm

[Robert Withers] "You would have to do some deep searching to find that Pr CC versions are not backward-compatible and are specific to Mac OS versions -"

Actually I get clobbered with this every time I bring a client project into the system. Either I am a version ahead of them or they are a couple behind me. But it is inevitable that I will get the "newer/older" version warning and either the project gets pulled forward, or I can't open it until I update. One or the other. Every time.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]