FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I create a Grading Before/After Video like most of the Best Color Graders do? (Newbie)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Umer Rehman
How do I create a Grading Before/After Video like most of the Best Color Graders do? (Newbie)
on Aug 9, 2016 at 2:08:41 pm

sample video:
https://vimeo.com/176303991

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: How do I create a Grading Before/After Video like most of the Best Color Graders do? (Newbie)
on Aug 9, 2016 at 5:32:49 pm

Well, to do a wipe, all the layers must exist, so that can be done in almost any NLE, even Resolve, by cloning your example material to as many layers as there are nodes (perhaps) and then eliminating/shutting off the nodes in the various layers that you want to illustrate... going back from your full final grade to the uncorrected original.

There is another approach, and that is to use a "butterfly" split, so the same clip, wiped down the middle and flipped, is original on one and full grade on the other, so that the same subject material is exhibited left and right.

If it's your own camera work that you are demonstrating, no worries... some cinematographers object to having their source footage uh.... subjected to being exemplified. If your grade is mostly about unpacking S-Log encoded media, its also kind of an unfair comparison since we don't really know what the source exposure range might have been.

In the end, is the value of a split-screen about "Here is what I did to fix it, or enhance it... or did we get to where the producer felt it propelled the story?"

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: How do I create a Grading Before/After Video like most of the Best Color Graders do? (Newbie)
on Aug 10, 2016 at 1:17:31 am

In addition to what Joe says, the reels I've seen of the best colorists in the world don't do before & after comparisons because they know it's total BS. So much depends on the nature of the lighting and the photography, the correction is not necessarily making the look. I particularly dislike it when a colorist shows a "Raw" look and then applies several layers of looks on top of that, implying that they're "saving" the shot by amazing color-correction.

The best colorists I know of just have a resume. Some don't even have a demo reel.

If you must do a before/after, just export two copies of the demo -- one with correction, one without, and then create a new timeline, go to the Edit page, and use the transitions to wipe between one and the other. What gets more complicated is when you need to show layers and layers and layers of different nodes, because you'd have to render a separate file for each layer.

Return to posts index

Umer Rehman
on Aug 10, 2016 at 3:04:10 am

Great Help! Thanks Mark & Joseph.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]