FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possibly making the switch from CS6 Premiere to Resolve. Looking for some advice!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Pas
Possibly making the switch from CS6 Premiere to Resolve. Looking for some advice!
on Aug 8, 2016 at 3:35:21 pm

Hello,

I have been using CS6 Premiere for my editing projects for years now and I really like it. However, it would be nice to get an updated NLE since I am sure there are some great technological improvements by now.

Is there a huge learning curve switching over to Resolve? Any sort of features I am used to maybe in CS6 that I will be confused about with Resolve? Any other general thoughts on Resolve as an editor?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Karsten Fischer
Re: Possibly making the switch from CS6 Premiere to Resolve. Looking for some advice!
on Aug 9, 2016 at 8:51:52 am

Good questions, unfortunately there aren't any easy answers to them.
Both are track-based editing suites, so most of the operations are similar. Resolve uses a database (even if it may be only a file system database) for keeping track of editing and footage, hence the largest difference in using it is media management & project management.
I do recommend watching Alexis van Hurkmans introductory video for Resolve 12, some otherwise baffling things are explained there pretty well.

Next is hardware - Resolve lives on a decent GPU. I'd still go for Nvidias CUDA, albeit Resolve can use OpenCL as well. Having the right GPU with plenty of memory - let's say 4GB minimum - has more impact on fluid editing than almost everything else, assuming that your storage is capable of providing data fast enough and you have a decent SSD for render files.

Not surprisingly Resolve works exceptionally well with BMD's I/O cards and in all honesty I would refrain from using it if you don't have one, since desktop preview is, well, below par.

Learning the editing part of Resolve isn't too difficult, you can also retain most of your Keyboard shortcuts as well and in all honesty - track-based editing hasn't changed much in the last decade or so.

As mentioned above, importing & exporting media is completely different. Apart from that, trimming is maybe the part requiring most attention, since it differs a lot, especially if you are trimming multiple clips at once. Effects are another matter, there aren't that many included with Resolve, but then I never used those in PPro that much either. But you'll get real-time scopes. Color correction - well, let's just say you are able to play with grown-up stuff here. Basic stuff is easy, but you really can do so much more if you delve into those tools. Takes time to learn, though.

Bottom line: For me, it was worth the switch. But then I came from PPro CC 2015, which I think is a huge step from CS6. Try it. If it works for you, fine. If not, don't use it :)

-----

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Return to posts index

Eric Pas
Re: Possibly making the switch from CS6 Premiere to Resolve. Looking for some advice!
on Aug 9, 2016 at 1:54:23 pm

Karsten,

Thanks for the informative response!

I played around with Resolve yesterday for several hours. I have mixed feelings with it for now. When I have long conference shoots I use my Canon camcorders with use MTS files. I unfortunately discovered that Resolve doesn't really like those MTS files and won't import them. Premiere Pro does a great job with MTS files.

I know I should turn the MTS files to ProRes but its just so many files that its a really annoying extra step.

I messed with green screen editing too and that was ok. Im not used to Nodes so it takes time getting used to. I really liked the Ultra Key in Premiere and found it pretty simple.

In terms of audio sweetening (noise reduction also), what is the best workaround for that? I used to send everything to Audition where I had a lot of presets locked in. Maybe I need to use Audacity or something?

I also wonder if there is a way in the render queue to automatically upload the videos to Youtube straight from there?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 10, 2016 at 6:25:31 am

Resolve has VST plugins. For noise reduction processing I have iZotope plugins available in Resolve and some great plugins from Voxengo which give mastering compression and limiting. VST plugins are appllied to a clip in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Eric Pas
on Aug 10, 2016 at 3:33:43 pm

So the VST plugins are already inside of Resolve?

Which izotope plugin do you recommend? Is it pricey?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]