FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another Resolve newbie question: how to conform my clips?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Piotr Wozniacki
Another Resolve newbie question: how to conform my clips?
on Aug 8, 2016 at 8:50:33 am

Hi again,

I realize there are many exhaustive options in the Project Settings for defining the way clips in the Bin will be put on the Timeline; professionals working on their serious projects usually use them together with their Resolve-supported metadata, clip or reel naming convention, etc. But...

...I'm editing alone and with just my own final delivery in mind, with just a single camera/codec-originated footage, so being lazy like most people, I'd like to avoid the tedious work of re-organizing bins, reels, and clip names while still having Resolve create my timelines with the clips conformed at least with the right order (and that usually is the incremented suffix in the subsequent clips' names, as written by my Sony FS7 camera)...Like in the "184_001, 184_002,..." sequence of clips in my project's media bin. Simple, isn't it?

But frankly - whatever I define in the Conform options of my Project settings, my timelines never follow this simple convention. I realize there is much more involved than the clip file names (or are they really treated like reel names by Resolve?) - the TC being probably the most important factor - but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to make Resolve put my clips to a new timeline in the above described order. So my question is: what am I missing? What else - beside my clips' names - should I consider trying to define automatically conforming my clips in the way I described?

Piotr

PS. My clips are XAVC-I, and Resolve is not particularly good at getting all the FS7 metadata - even though I always copy entire card structures to my media storage drives...

My System:

Main Camera: Sony FS7
Editing gear: Asus X-99 Pro/USB3.1 MoBo; i7-5960X 8-core CPU@ 4.2 GHz; 64 GB of 2133 MHz RAM; nVidia Quadro M2000 graphics; mass storage: ADATA 480 GB SSD drive (system); 4x WD Black 3TB 7200 rpm HDDs in RAID 0

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Another Resolve newbie question: how to conform my clips?
on Aug 8, 2016 at 3:06:58 pm

[Piotr Wozniacki] " I don't seem to be able to figure out how to make Resolve put my clips to a new timeline in the above described order."

Name-sorted?

How are you creating the new timeline?
Do you do a name-sort in the browser, select-all, add to timeline?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Piotr Wozniacki
on Aug 8, 2016 at 5:38:39 pm

Name-sorting in the Browser works as expected, but adding all to Media bin changes the sequence in a way I don't quite understand... So while creating a timeline, the order by name is lost. What am I doing wrong?

My System:

Editing gear: Asus X-99 Pro/USB3.1 MoBo; i7-5960X 8-core CPU@ 4.2 GHz; 64 GB of 2133 MHz RAM; nVidia Quadro M2000 graphics; mass storage: ADATA 480 GB SSD drive (system); 4x WD Black 3TB 7200 rpm HDDs in RAID 0

Return to posts index

Piotr Wozniacki
on Aug 8, 2016 at 5:51:21 pm

Sorry - I only now noticed sorting by name is also possible in the media bib. Silly me :)

My System:

Return to posts index

Piotr Wozniacki
on Aug 12, 2016 at 4:29:08 am

Of course I meant "Media Bin", not "bib" :)

As you all could have guessed, I'm a total beginner to Resolve and I used only the thumbnail view of both the Media Storage Browser and in Media Bin; with the List View it's so much easier to "reveal" all the sorting methods - including the sorting by name I was after (and missing :).

But I'm posting this only to tell you that by the week that passed from my last silly post, I've made great advances in my learning to use Resolve, and must tell you the initially steep learning curve is worth the effort - it's an ingenious piece of NLE software; so much so I will soon be buying the Studio version (if only for things like HDR support or Noise Reduction capabilities) - and will probably never look back to the other NLEs I've used before!

One question though: I read in several places Resolve's own noise reduction is not as powerful as the NeatVideo plugin I used in Edius or Vegas Pro with great Results. But the Resolve version of NeatVideo is much more expensive than those for other NLEs I used before - so before I buy it, I'd appreciate a confirmation (or denial) about NeatVideo plugin being superior to Resolve Studio's own algorithm from the expert Resolve users; Thanks in advance;

Piotr

My System:

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 14, 2016 at 5:02:52 am

[Piotr Wozniacki] "I read in several places Resolve's own noise reduction is not as powerful as the NeatVideo plugin I used in Edius or Vegas Pro with great Results. But the Resolve version of NeatVideo is much more expensive than those for other NLEs I used before - so before I buy it, I'd appreciate a confirmation (or denial) about NeatVideo plugin being superior to Resolve Studio's own algorithm from the expert Resolve users..."
I believe they have a trial version of Neat Video that you can download and run for short sequences. Try that and see how it goes.

Generally, what I hear from people is that Neat Video is very slow but does a pretty good job. You'll have to decide if it's worth the investment for the expense and for the relatively small gain in processing power.

Return to posts index

Piotr Wozniacki
on Aug 14, 2016 at 5:34:26 am

Thanks Marc - I did try the demo version of NeatVideo for Resolve plug-in, and indeed it was extremely slow at processing (w/o pre-rendering, I was getting a pathetic 1 fps playback). Unfortunately I cannot compare its results with the Resolve's own noise reduction as I have yet to buy the Studio version :) I will soon, so thanks for your advise.

Piotr

My System:

Editing gear: Asus X-99 Pro/USB3.1 MoBo; i7-5960X 8-core CPU@ 4.2 GHz; 64 GB of 2133 MHz RAM; nVidia Quadro M2000 graphics; mass storage: ADATA 480 GB SSD drive (system); 4x WD Black 3TB 7200 rpm HDDs in RAID 0; 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD cache drive

Full screen preview monitor: Samsung 49KS8000 SUHD TV with 10-bit panel and HDR1000 support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]