DaVinci Viewer window shows clip with more contrast than thumbnails and exports

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Leggett
DaVinci Viewer window shows clip with more contrast than thumbnails and exports
on Aug 4, 2016 at 9:22:19 pm

Hi,

I'd very much appreciate any opinions on the following predicament:

- I have edited a short film and exported an XML from FCPX to Resolve 12.5.
- Following a simple grade, the footage in the viewer looks how i want it to, but the thumbnail shows a flatter image
- Exporting the footage as clips or as an xml back to FCPX maintains the appearance of the THUMBNAIL, flatter preview, and does not carry the viewer preview (which i used to gauge the grade)

I have attached a screenshot which demonstrates this phenomenon.

Any help is very much appreciated at this stage!

Thanks,
Ben

(I'm running FCPX 10.2.3 , Resolve 12.5 on retina macbook pro, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB)
Footage is 4k material from a Blackmagic production camera)

Return to posts index

Daniel Williams
Re: DaVinci Viewer window shows clip with more contrast than thumbnails and exports
on Aug 7, 2016 at 5:46:46 am

I man having the same exact problem, my exports have lifted shadows and a black gamma shift.

What are the specs of the source material?

Return to posts index

Benjamin Leggett
Re: DaVinci Viewer window shows clip with more contrast than thumbnails and exports
on Aug 9, 2016 at 10:49:08 pm

It's 4k prores 422 from a bmpc..

I have solved this side of the issue: Resolve was using my mac colour profile to calibrate the viewer image. (theres an option in the project settings pane)

BUT like yourself my exports have lifted shadows (and less saturation?)

I suspect it has something to do with quicktime - when i open the export in VLC, the colours are true to the resolve preview. Only in quicktime application and Final Cut Pro X viewer do i see this desaturation/flattening.

I'm going to export a test from FCPX and see whether VLC will restore the promised grade..

B

Return to posts index

Benjamin Leggett
on Aug 9, 2016 at 11:00:05 pm

UPDATE:

I exported a clip from resolve and found it looked different in QT and in FCPX, but not in VLC (where it was identical to Resolve preview)

I brought the clip in to FCPX and exported it as and MP4 and a MOV, both of which, again, looked exactly like the resolve preview but only when watched through VLC.

Conclusion being, I'm going to trust the resolve preview, ignore discrepancies in FCPX and Quicktime viewers, and hope that the flattening/desaturation (gamma?) doesn't occur when viewing on the web/HDTV etc.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2016 at 11:12:20 pm

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Williams
on Aug 10, 2016 at 3:28:28 am

Interesting.

The above quote has escaped me in terms of complexity, but all i know is that my preview monitor in DaVinci, while on a new iMac 5k, looks EXACTLY like the end result when viewed on any apple or android device.

Isn't the point of calibration to simulate the end user experience? if you are making content mostly for youtube, vimeo, Facebook, phone and macbook viewing, that will most likely not be broadcast, why WOULDNT you trust your Imac5k monitor over your 709 plasma??

In my experience its quite literally...more accurate. clients comment as well.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 12, 2016 at 12:56:21 am

[Daniel Williams] "Isn't the point of calibration to simulate the end user experience? if you are making content mostly for youtube, vimeo, Facebook, phone and macbook viewing, that will most likely not be broadcast, why WOULDNT you trust your Imac5k monitor over your 709 plasma??"
What if the iMac is not calibrated? I've seen five iMacs in a row at the Apple store showing the same demo video, and every single one of them looks different. Which would you like to use as a reference? There's always the possible they're all wrong (which would be my bet)... just different shades of wrong.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]