FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie question on XAVC-I 4K/50p play-back in free Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Piotr Wozniacki
Newbie question on XAVC-I 4K/50p play-back in free Resolve
on Aug 4, 2016 at 7:23:12 am
Last Edited By Piotr Wozniacki on Aug 5, 2016 at 1:15:38 pm

First of all - as this is my first post here - let me say hello to everyone! I'm a "serious hobbyist" free lancer videographer from Poland, and I've only just started using Resolve for my FS7 footage grading. Also, please forgive my far-from-perfect English :)

Well, so my first question here is something probably very naive, but here it is anyway: I'm aware that for 4K editing, the Studio version of Resolve is required (I'm using the free version now, but purchasing Resole Studio is high on my investment list). However, I don't understand what really is the severe limiting factor between my great experience in QUHD (3840x2160) 25p edit/grade in Resolve, and extremely poor experience in the case of editing attempts with 4K 50p footage (with the same, XAVC-I codec). On my 8-core PC with the Quadro M2000 card, QUHD plays back really smoothly even on the Color page with some grades/FXes already present - while my 4K footage (XAVC 4:2:2 10 bit, at 50p it's some 500 Mbps datarate) chokes right after loading! And surprisingly, it sounds (pun unintended) like it's the sound and not the picture which is choking... Difficult to describe really for someone with my level of English, but I can hear it and observe it on the VU meters... Also, the play-back fps indicator fluctuates to the (very fast) rhythm of the audio choking... Is it intentionally built in into the free version of Resolve? I mean, with QUHD at 25p there is plenty of performance headroom, and things don't seem to go to the "Red side" of fps indicator gradually as the bandwidth is increased to 500 Mbps with my 4K/50p material; the difference is drastic and non-liner... Is there a way to ease it a bit, other than a faster computer or the paid version of Resolve? Even using optimized media doesn't help, as it optimizes video only, and the audio still does the same thing - keeping the playback fps down.

I’ve tried all the “playback friendly" ways available in Resolve to ease the burden on the system, but nothing seems to work:

- Generated Optimized Media (tried setting them as low as vanilla DNxHR) : still choking, and the fps indicator in red
- Turned on Smart Cache and/or User Cache (gradually lowering proxies quality to and including vanilla DNxHR): still choking, and the fps indicator in red
- Toggled Proxy playback with Half and/or Quarter resolution on and off: still choking, and the fps indicator in red

Please tell me :

- Is there is a limit built into the free Resolve version that I'm bouncing off?
- if this is just my PC system's too low capability, what should I start with increasing it so that the changes are the most cost-effective with Resolve in mind?
- if it's the graphics card, should I:
- replace my current Quadro M2000 with a higher model?
- add another Quadro card?
- should the second Quadro be the same model I have, or can it be different (more robust)?
- speaking of multiple GPUs: can Resolve use more than a single GPU at the same time, or will it only use the faster one?

Sorry for making my very first post so long; looking forward to the Resolve community's expert advise -

Piotr

PS. Or perhaps - considering I'm planning to purchase the Studio version of Resolve soon - the best investment into my current system, in order to efficiently edit DCI 4K 50p - would be to purchase a Decklink card for driving my preview screen? If so, please tell me which exactly model I should buy, taking into account I only have a HDMI 2.0a-compatible display (the Samsung 49KS8000 SUHD TV). Which Decklink model offers the HDMI capabilities I'd need for 10-bit editing and previewing with HDR1000?

My System:

Main Camera: Sony FS7
Editing gear: Asus X-99 Pro/USB3.1 MoBo; i7-5960X 8-core CPU@ 4.2 GHz; 64 GB of 2133 MHz RAM; nVidia Quadro M2000 graphics; mass storage: ADATA 480 GB SSD drive (system); 4x WD Black 3TB 7200 rpm HDDs in RAID 0

Return to posts index

Piotr Wozniacki
Re: Newbie question on XAVC-I 4K/50p play-back in free Resolve
on Aug 8, 2016 at 6:39:41 am

I'm really hoping someone will answer my question; in the meantime I managed to find a workflow (using auto caching) that helped mi to get rid of the audio"choking" - now I can edit and grade my full DCI 4K@50Hz footage at full fps speed... Resolve is a really tremendous system! Also, I'm finding my modest Quadro M2000 card extremely capable and efficient.

However - and actually this now becomes my main question to those working with the Studio version of Resolve, which I'm going to purchase (if only for HDR or Noise Reduction handling) - I'd like to make my edit/grade experience even more fluent by adding the second Quadro card; before I invest in one, please tell me:

- Can Resolve Studio utilize the combined compute capabilities (doubled number of CUDA "cores" and video RAM) of 2 identical Quadro cards?

- Do the two Quadro cards be identical, and what happens if they are not: does Resolve Studio still use their combined power, or does it only use the more powerful one?

Your answer to the above questions is really very important to me, so please comment on them; TIA

Piotr

My System:

Main Camera: Sony FS7
Editing gear: Asus X-99 Pro/USB3.1 MoBo; i7-5960X 8-core CPU@ 4.2 GHz; 64 GB of 2133 MHz RAM; nVidia Quadro M2000 graphics; mass storage: ADATA 480 GB SSD drive (system); 4x WD Black 3TB 7200 rpm HDDs in RAID 0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]