FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci to Avid is driving me CRAZY!!! (COLOR ISSUES)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
Davinci to Avid is driving me CRAZY!!! (COLOR ISSUES)
on Aug 1, 2016 at 6:39:51 pm

Hey guys,

I have been using a Davinci Resolve 12.5 Studio to Avid Media Composer workflow for a while now and I just cannot understand why the grade I'm so happy with in Davinci doesn't properly transfer to Media Composer. I end up having to recontrast or recorrect my footage in AVID after spending a day or so doing color. This cannot be how this works in the big leagues. What am I doing wrong? Why is my color so different between the two programs and what can I do to solve this????

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Davinci to Avid is driving me CRAZY!!! (COLOR ISSUES)
on Aug 2, 2016 at 3:59:34 am

How are you bringing the color-corrected files back into Avid from Resolve?

Note that you have to actually render a color-corrected file, effectively "baking in" the color for the final edit. There are a lot of resources on the web for Avid -> Resolve -> Avid roundtrip workflows; one is here on the Cow:

https://library.creativecow.net/freeman_scott/AVID-Framerate-Metadata/1

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Aug 2, 2016 at 4:11:41 pm

The whole round tripping element is a cake walk. I export an AAF for AVID and use the DNX 444 (or whatever the highest newest codec is) and it comes right back in to Media Composer. The problem is, when I look at media composers viewer window of the footage and compare it to the gorgeous rich color in Davinci it looks totally underwhelming and colors are different and contrast is changed as well. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? How can they look so different even after export.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Aug 2, 2016 at 5:08:36 pm

Are you looking at the footage out of both programs on a properly calibrated broadcast monitor? If you are only using internal program viewers, nothing will be accurate.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Aug 3, 2016 at 9:41:38 am

Have you checked the SOURCE SETTINGS for your imported footage in MC? Many times MC applies an incorrect setting on input, which remaps incoming footage to the wrong levels.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 3, 2016 at 2:08:30 pm

Do you have bars at the head of your show? what do they look like in MCs scopes. That will help you decide if MC is doing a full to legal or vice versa on import. Also check your auto vs full vs video on output from Resolve. it is more than likely a combination of those settings.

You may also find changing MC to RGB mode will match a bit closer once you get the full vs legal straightend out.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]