FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to properly configure sizing of imported footage?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Miguez
How to properly configure sizing of imported footage?
on Jul 27, 2016 at 5:02:23 am

Hi everyone,

I'm importing my 1080p timeline from FCP into DaVinci, but I'm working with 4K clips which have been cropped and adjusted for the 1080p timeline. When I import into DaVinci I would like to be able to keep my cropping adjustments and colour on a 1080 timeline. But If I choose "keep sizing information" at import, it gives me what appears to be a 4K timeline where I can see all my clips cropped with black all around (even though I'm selecting a 1080 timeline at import). If I deselect to keep sizing information, all my clips are just normal and I loose all my cropping adjustments.

I'm sure this is a really simple setting which I am missing to adjust. Could anyone tell me what setting that would be?

I would like to avoid having to export 4K clips from DaVinci, and just export the final 1080 with all the crop adjustments I made in FCP.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: How to properly configure sizing of imported footage?
on Jul 27, 2016 at 3:29:16 pm

[Pedro Miguez] " If I choose "keep sizing information" at import, it gives me what appears to be a 4K timeline where I can see all my clips cropped with black all around (even though I'm selecting a 1080 timeline at import)"

Look at your Project Settings... Image Scaling...

and you will find three categories that will affect how the incoming image is reconciled with your timeline resolution. You can choose to "Override Input Scaling" because Resolve is, by default, doubling up the transform by first scaling your 4K material down to fit it within the 1080 timeline, and then your FCP transform is also being applied, which is probably taking the image down by another 50%, within whatever other XY geometry has been applied.

You should likely also check your Master Project Settings to confirm that your timeline is actually what you want, and has not defaulted to something else. Usually it should conform to the FCP sequence XML -- you are asked that question on import.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]