FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible Gopro selects workflow using Resolve 12.5

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Fiennes
Possible Gopro selects workflow using Resolve 12.5
on Jul 21, 2016 at 2:36:40 pm

Hi all

Just wondering if you could let me me know if you thought something may be possible is Resolve. I have tested most of it but have a question about delivery.

For anyone ever involved in new large scale survival shows etc we all know that Gopro is horror no one wants to talk about.

The issue is always that there is not enough budget or time to ingest all the the rolls , however clearly those needed need to make it into the edit.

Currently one workflow I have seen is to make selects via something like QT pro and then send these with a sensible naming convention.

This is very slow and labourious often taking an assistant a day to do one story worth of rolls if not longer and often requires timecode replacement.

I had the bright idea of putting the rolls into Resolve and then making a selects sequence, as resolve being the beauty that it is of course recognises the TC etc and can retain it!

So my question is, when you then go to deliver that sequence, you can choose to export individual files with a unique name e.g NAMEOFROLL_SUB_001

What I can not see is if there is a way to re wrap on the way out , so no transcode takes place, thus making the the export nice and quick.

(1 thing to bare in mind is that all these Gopro clips have been wrapped to MOV before entering Resolve.

Thanks for any info

Will

Freelance Assistant Editor / Post Production Op / Learning to Shoot asap!!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Possible Gopro selects workflow using Resolve 12.5
on Jul 21, 2016 at 3:07:20 pm

[Will Fiennes] "What I can not see is if there is a way to re wrap on the way out , so no transcode takes place, thus making the the export nice and quick. "

The first thing that occurs to me is to use the Media Management - "copy" option. It is not the most robust in the world, but if you are really just looking for clip management and don't necessarily need the entire project (if/when it crashes, you can sort out what it managed to do) you might be able to pick it up from there again. Not sure of the mechanism involved in avoiding a transcode if you are changing the wrapper and metadata within the clip.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Possible Gopro selects workflow using Resolve 12.5
on Jul 23, 2016 at 3:13:52 am

My answer to the GoPro problem is generally NOT to use a GoPro, but instead use a real camera like the Blackmagic Pocket Camera. At least then, you have interchangeable lenses, true 23.98fps recording, no auto gain, and reliable operation, plus it'll shoot ProRes 422HQ. Very simple workflow, no conversion, no nothing. It's more money than the GoPro, but to me, you get what you pay for.

If you're absolutely stuck with GoPro, then I would convert to timecoded ProRes early on and consider those as the masters for the entire workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]