FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to change to 29.97 drop frame

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Brier
Need to change to 29.97 drop frame
on Jul 11, 2016 at 8:22:28 pm

So I know that you need to settle on the framerate before you add media into the media pool, but what if you simply want to change from non-drop frame to drop frame timecode for all of your timelines? Right now I have two rough cuts completed, but I need to change over to drop frame 29.97. Here's what I have tried:
- Create new 29.97 drop frame project, and copy and paste timelines to new project (ERROR: Current project frame rate does not match that of copied timelines from the media pool.)
- Copy contents of the timeline from non-drop project into a new timeline in the drop frame project (ERROR: Current project frame rate does not match that of copied items from the timeline.)

Any other workarounds for this? I am on DaVinci Resolve 12.5.

David Brier | Post-Op Media

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Need to change to 29.97 drop frame
on Jul 12, 2016 at 3:12:35 am

The only workaround I can think of is to export the entire project as ProRes 444 or DNxHD 444, then start a new drop-frame project, import the material back in to the media page, create a drop-frame timeline, and render it out again with the new embedded timecode.

Return to posts index

David Brier
Re: Need to change to 29.97 drop frame
on Jul 12, 2016 at 1:21:01 pm

Okay, worth a try. I also did an AAF export and was able to import the clips into a drop frame project, but none of the clips re-linked properly (not even close). Anyway, I think that my workflow will be to continue editing in non-drop, and then keep the calculations in my head, make my final, flattened exports, then bring those into a drop frame project and re-export with the proper DF timecode track. Considering these are :60, :30 and :20 promos, I think that I can manage that.

With that being said, as a new Resolve user, this is a glaring issue. I can't think of any other NLE that won't allow you to at least change from ND->DF timecode. I'm even baffled as to why you can't have multiple timelines with different framerates, in one project. If you offer "mixed frame rate support" then you should also offer timeline frame rate adjustments.

Thanks for the reply!

David Brier | Post-Op Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]