COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan Windh
Applying tracking data from one Power Window to another
on Jul 7, 2016 at 8:51:38 am
Last Edited By Johan Windh on Jul 7, 2016 at 8:53:36 am

Hi,

I've had some inconsistencies lately.

I have a scene with a character wearing a gas mask (yes, that's right) walking towards camera. I needed to track the eyes of the mask and darken them, but couldn't get a solid track with a small Power Window (PW) around the eyes. However, I got a perfect track on the entire head and copied the tracking data from that PW and applied it to the smaller one. Worked like a charm. Just a few minor corrections in Frame mode.

The next scene, I try to do the same (this scene is a medium close-up in which the character turns towards camera). Track on the entire head first, just fine, and then copy the tracking data. HOWEVER. When I now apply this tracking data to the smaller PW around the eyes, it totally flips out. It warps both in scale and in 3D-space. The tracking seems to follow that of the larger PW but it animates erratically in both scale and 3D-space.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong and why it doesn't work in the second clip? Is it because of the movement, the turn of the head?

Clueless.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Applying tracking data from one Power Window to another
on Jul 8, 2016 at 6:00:44 am

There are cases where sometimes manual tracking works best, basically rotoscoping it.

I have also found situations where the Point Tracker works better than the Cloud Tracker. With eyeballs, I think all you can do is do an extreme zoom into the viewer and carefully watch what the tracker is doing, then compensate when it goes off the rails. Sometimes, killing zoom or rotate may help. I generally have not had great luck with the 3D tracker, but there are always exceptions.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 8, 2016 at 2:58:22 pm

The new "Frame" keyframe mode also helps a lot.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on Jul 8, 2016 at 9:40:39 pm

Thanks guys. Yes, I've been using Frame mode quite a bit. It's a blessing. I was just curious on why the apply track data worked the first time but hasn't since.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]