FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor Calibrator For Specific Workflow

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Gull
Monitor Calibrator For Specific Workflow
on Jul 6, 2016 at 7:38:55 pm

Hello,
I'm an AE for a small production company. Normally, we out-source our color, but we'd like to do it in house for our smaller, web-based products. We have a Panasonic 65" Plasma HDTV TC-P65S1 and other pieces for a set up but I was wondering the best calibration tool for our workflow.

iMac, 3.4GHz i7, 16GB Ram --> Davinci Resolve 12 Lite --> BM Ultrastudio MiniMonitor --> HDMI --> Panasonic 65" Plasma HDTV TC-P65S1

I have been recommended a Spyder, but I thought that was just for print/photoshop work.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Monitor Calibrator For Specific Workflow
on Jul 6, 2016 at 10:03:22 pm

[Jacob Gull] "HDMI --> Panasonic 65" Plasma HDTV TC-P65S1
I have been recommended a Spyder, but I thought that was just for print/photoshop work."

It isn't ideal for motion picture, since you need a much more sensitive photometer. In a way, the blacks are more important - its a little counter-intuitive - and even an EyeOne C6 needs some time and multiple samples to come away with a good dark measurement.

I use a C6 with C**lM*n Studio -- it is also advantageous to run their Client3 ICC Manager on your iMac. If you can somehow align the Panasonic with its internal 2-point or 20-point white balance (if its offered in the super-duper Advance User Settings), it is better than inserting LUTs. Any calibration software is going to ask you to try to get the monitor as close as possible before generating a profile/map anyway. If you're "close enough" for that, sometimes you are close enough for what you want to do.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jacob Gull
on Jul 7, 2016 at 1:16:38 am

Thank you for responding,

Looks like some SpectraCal stuff is within the price range we were looking for, but its all for Windows. How will it create a LUT for our Mac if we're running the software off a windows laptop?

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jul 8, 2016 at 10:56:30 pm

Jacob,
The Spectracal software is WiFi aware. You install the "Client" software on the client computer, Mac or PC, connect to the computer with the cal software installed via WiFi, then calibrate.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 9, 2016 at 3:07:25 pm

Bill is correct. The software can operate through a shared-network and the client software is both Mac and Windows compliant. It can be a whiff tricky to handshake, but there are a lot of tutorials available to step through the process.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]