FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I achieve this look?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimi Lund
How can I achieve this look?
on Jul 1, 2016 at 10:47:56 am

Hi all,

I have some "standard" HD video footage, shot outdoors, properly exposed etc and would like to try and grade it to look something like this look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcIvm0YW_6A

Can anyone give me some pointers to the best steps to do this?

Many thanks,

Jimi

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: How can I achieve this look?
on Jul 2, 2016 at 3:44:24 am

What plugins do you have? You will need something to change exposure which is a characteristic of hand crank. There is plenty of edge fog and color shifts.

Some of the film emulations like Boris might help. Digital Anarchy have a free plugin called flicker freak which adds flicker nd exposure changes. You might be able to find overlays that will help with the fog and color changes. Softening and adding a bit of motion blur might also help sell the old look and maybe a bit of blooming with a glow type plugin.

Without seeing the images you wish to treat its a bit hard to say what to do grade wise. This old film seems to punch the orange and red.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 2, 2016 at 4:34:32 am

You might also look at the "film clutter" and similar files you can overlay as composites from Rampant Design Tools:

rampantdesigntools.com

The speed-jerky thing would be tough to do unless you specifically shot it at 12fps and then played it back at 12fps and then doubled the frames to create that kind of silent-movie look. Hand-painted B&W film from the 1910s and 1920s has a very peculiar look, particularly when you consider this is nitrate film, which has that highlight glow thing going on.

Return to posts index

Jimi Lund
on Jul 4, 2016 at 6:12:00 pm

Thanks Michael and Marc,

That's a big help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]