Timecode indicators - which is which?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vicky Peters
Timecode indicators - which is which?
on Jun 21, 2016 at 5:56:29 pm
Last Edited By Vicky Peters on Jun 21, 2016 at 5:57:21 pm

Hi guys,

I'm quite new to Resolve, as my main tool is Avid MC for offline assistant editing - so apologies for the ignorance. However, I've been trying to do some conform tests as the online facility is having problems conforming our EDL i.e. the TCs of the shot on the EDL doesn't match visually with the source TC on the shot (we have mixed frame rates etc).
Would you be able to tell me what each of the TCs at the top of both source and record monitors mean? Especially the middle one i.e. 00:01:31:09?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Timecode indicators - which is which?
on Jun 23, 2016 at 4:27:55 am

Mixed frame rates are very bad for Resolve, in my opinion. I generally tell client to render those out and give me those clips separately with the speed change built in. If the clip simply has to play at 23.98, I can handle that. But there will sometimes be a risk of timecodes not matching, because if the timecode rate is different than the frame rate, the timecode is going to be off.

In one scenario, you can render out a Reference Version of the project from Avid with the source timecode, source names, and record timecode as burn-in windows. These references will help manually reconform the image in other kinds of software, like Resolve and any other editing or color-correction program.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Timecode indicators - which is which?
on Jun 23, 2016 at 7:20:28 pm

I too have had issues figuring out the timecode display in Resolve. If you right click on a timecode, you should be able to call up source vs record timecode displays.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]