FORUMS: list search recent posts

benefits of DaVinci Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miranda Shar
benefits of DaVinci Resolve
on Jun 18, 2016 at 2:42:39 am

HI,

I have both DaVinici Lite and Premiere Pro, I was wondering if its better to edit in Premiere Pro and then import to DaVinici to color grade, or is it easier to edit/color grade within one project? I find DaVinci a bit difficult so thought it may make the process easier, but I wont bother if it's a hassle.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: benefits of DaVinci Resolve
on Jun 19, 2016 at 3:54:26 pm

That is kind of a "what color is the sky" question.

If you are more proficient in Premiere Pro, or Avid or fcpX, (if that is where your experience lies) then it will probably be "better".

These programs are not faster at editing then each other. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. The editor has to bring his techniques and knowledge to the table to make it "faster" or "better".

If you are coloring in Resolve, is it more efficient to edit in Resolve? Not necessarily. If you are more comfortable in a different program, then the time you lose in doing a round trip technique will be greatly offset by your lack of knowledge in Resolve as an editor.

I cut in Avid, and have done so since 1995. I can get a round trip into Resolve very quickly. Depending on the type of footage, and the size of the show, it could take me as little as 5 mins. I've done it a lot, and i don't have to say to myself "how do i do this", so it is very efficient for me. I know Avid inside and out. I can troubleshoot and media manage on the fly. I have my personal techniques and workflows that work for me, and allow me to be good and fast.

I've only taken a brief look at Resolve as an editor. For me to suddenly switch, would cost me and my clients much more than 5 mins or half an hour or at worse an hour I might lose to do a round trip.

I intend to try Resolve on a project one of these days, but when the client is footing the bill, it is a tougher sell for both them and me.

Back to your original question, if you are more comfortable in Premiere, than cut in Premiere. Test your workflow to and from Resolve before you go too far down the hole, to make sure your media is working properly within both programs, and your lists are talking to each other.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 19, 2016 at 9:54:39 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "That is kind of a "what color is the sky" question."

Silly, its D65.

Just got back from the kart range, and I swear I am quicker in the slower cars. Lap times are about the same.

Anyway, cutting more and more in Resolve lately, even though I have all the majors; keep them around for project import and conform. Resolve is very much like Final Cut 8.
And very much unlike FCPX, somewhat similar to Premiere and has a very different approach to media management and file hierarchy than Media Composer.

I think it was a conversation between Bohr and Einstein once in a Princeton lecture hall where, when asked by a student how they came by their in-depth understanding of the extremely advanced mathematical concepts, answered that no one understood the math, but everybody just eventually got used to it.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 20, 2016 at 12:32:12 am

One thing in Resolve's favour is that Blackmagic are developing the edit side of the program faster than any other NLE. Pr is developing nicely but AVID and X seem rather slow in their development over the past few years. So slow is X that some are spreading rumours that it will be EOL before too long.

I was doing basic edits in Pr but I am still on CS6. Resolve is doing everything I need at the moment and as my major work is grade and finish it is the edit tool that is now the most proficient for me. Recent speed improvements in timeline zoom and general performance plus better OFX is making it possible for me to start and finish in Resolve particularly with doco and short factual.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 20, 2016 at 2:35:47 am

[Joseph Owens] "Resolve is very much like Final Cut 8. "
I just did a spit-take! That's the best laugh I had all day, Joe. (And it's hard to laugh when it's damn near 100 degrees in LA at the moment.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]